[SOLVED] Windows 7 Product Key

xayxa30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2015
Trying to upgrade from win 7 pro to win 10.
I plan to use the windows 10 media creation tool.

I'm confused as to what the product key may be in win 7. I ran the Use NirSoft’s ProduKey to get the product key, but it is completely different from the product key that is on the sticker of the PC.

Which one should be used?

Solution
Have you not seen on your screen an offer from Microsoft to upgrade free of charge? If you use the MCT you will almost certainly have to pay the cost of a new key.

If European users use the MCT, they will only have the choice of Win10 N with a few less programmes because the EU passed privacy laws and tighter Copyright rules.
Have you not seen on your screen an offer from Microsoft to upgrade free of charge? If you use the MCT you will almost certainly have to pay the cost of a new key.

If European users use the MCT, they will only have the choice of Win10 N with a few less programmes because the EU passed privacy laws and tighter Copyright rules.

Solution
Jul 19, 2018
As the person said above, you can use the tool to upgrade to Windows 10 if you have a legal product key. The Windows Product Key Data is stored in your motherboard, and when upgrading, it should activate Windows 10 via your Windows 7 key. Microsoft made it that you can use your Windows 7 key to upgrade to Windows 10 free of charge

As the person said above, you can use the tool to upgrade to Windows 10 if you have a legal product key. The Windows Product Key Data is stored in your motherboard, and when upgrading, it should activate Windows 10 via your Windows 7 key. Microsoft made it that you can use your Windows 7 key to upgrade to Windows 10 free of charge
That used to be the case up until couple of updates ago. Now in most cases the Windows key is stored in one's MS account. While there maybe some issues using a key after a major hardware upgrade, a call to MS will usually solve the issue.

Jul 19, 2018
That used to be the case up until couple of updates ago. Now in most cases the Windows key is stored in one's MS account. While there maybe some issues using a key after a major hardware upgrade, a call to MS will usually solve the issue.

Are you sure? You don’t need a Microsoft account to activate Windows all the time, you can set up your PC without internet and when you connect to the internet later, it’ll activate. This seems to only work with keys that haven’t been used to upgrade or reinstalling windows

Feb 9, 2020
I just did the upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 and didnt know the product key but I had a legal copy of window 7 installed. It never asked me for the key during the upgrade so yes it will get the product key from stored info if you upgrade. I used the media creation tool to do it for free.

xayxa30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2015
Thank you for all the great tips and I apologize for the late response. I will look at the page again and try. It was just that I could not install the media creation tool on the pc to run the upgrade, so had to resort to the ISO external boot route. Sorry I haven't been able to get back to the PC.