Windows 7 - Raid 1 or mirror solution on already installed OS?

May 28, 2018
Hey all,

First time user here, so hopefully I am asking in the right place. :p

Just recently installed Windows 7 on my new Ryzen 5 2600 and Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5 board.

My question is that I normally have done Raid 1 in the past when installing my OS. But it been through BIOS and with Ryzen being a bit more iffy I thought I do a raid through Windows 7, which seems to be possible. Although I seen several doing it with the OS installed on a very small disk, then they have two larger disk that they make a Raid 1 on and then move it over, I think ?? :??:

I found this youtube video though that doing it with the OS and a second driver, but since I don't seem to find other that done the same, I am bit cautious as if it is actually safe or not ?

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Py0KcPdqgw&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

If anyone could inform me if that is safe or not it would be greatly appreciated !

Or should I get a software and just make a mirror image of my OS, and keep it on my other spare SDD that was for the Raid 1 array ?? If so, what software would you be recommend for that ?? I have on occasion got mail about Acronis True Image software, but no clue how it is and if there is better, and maybe free, out there that do the same ?? :??:

Any and all suggestion will be greatly appreciated ! :D

Solution

I use Macrium Reflect almost exclusively for backup purposes (and other things).
Full disk Image, and a series of Differential or Incremental images.
Done properly, you can return the state of the system to any day in the recent past.
Or even retrieve a single file from "last Tuesday".
ex. I need the copy of my resume as it was...

USAFRet

Titan

I use Macrium Reflect almost exclusively for backup purposes (and other things).
Full disk Image, and a series of Differential or Incremental images.
Done properly, you can return the state of the system to any day in the recent past.
Or even retrieve a single file from "last Tuesday".
ex. I need the copy of my resume as it was last week. No problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html

Solution