Windows 7 Random Reboots

Txmarshall2

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Hello all,

Hopefully someone can help out with this. I'm so frustrated, this has been going on for a short time now. I just upgraded my PC with a new Mobo, Processor, cooler, and an SSD for the OS. I play World of Warcraft. It seems as though it only restarts when I'm running WoW. I left the computer on for 4 days with no restarts. This is with a completely fresh install of 7 with all updates and the proper drivers for my system installed. Within less than 1 hour of starting WoW my system reboots, and now it does it approx. every 15-30 min if running WoW. Sometimes sooner, sometimes longer... no consistency to help diagnose the problem.

This is the only error that comes up in the Event Log

Event 6008, EventLog
The previous system shutdown at 1:45:28 PM on 11/20/2010 was unexpected.

- EventData

1:45:28 PM
‎11/‎20/‎2010

DA070B00060014000D002D001C00AE01DA070B00060014000C002D001C00AE01600900003C000000010000006009000000000000B00400000100000000000000

System Specs:

Mobo - msi890FXA-GD70
CPU - Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition (not overclocked)
RAM - Kingston DDR3 (PC3-8500F), 533MHz, 1066
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
HD - Corsair CSSD-V64GB2
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium x64 bit

I've read that event 6008 is a thermal event... meaning something's overheating... but i've been monitoring everything constantly and there's nothing running hot at all. In fact, everything is really cool within this system.

Txmarshall2

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I have monitored the video card as well, and although SpeedFan shows it to be overheating, I went and checked the manufacturer specs ( I had no problems with this card in my last setup ) and it's running at less than half of the allowable heat for this particular card (nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+).

Also, I have tried older video card drivers, ranging from the drivers off of the disk to ones six months old, to the current ones. This does not seem to have an impact.

I'm recieving three errors consistently after every random restart event. They are as follows:

Error 1

Error - EventLog
Log Name: System
EventID: 6008
Level: Error

The previous system shutdown at *insert time stamp* on *insert date* was unexpected.

Error 2

Log name: System
Source: Kernel-Power
EventID: 41
Level: Critical
User: SYSTEM

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Error 3

LogName: Security
Source: Eventlog
EventID: 1101
Level: Error

Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0

These are the only errors produced during my random restarts and they are repetitive each time. However, I've been unable to trace these back to a cause. Again, any help is appreciated.

MSI tech support suggested that I load test my RAM using memtest86 which I have done and it tests out fine. They also suggested removing one of the ram sticks and seeing if that fixed it (possible bad memory rail...) This did not work either.

This is becoming very frustrating. As i said before... I can surf the internet, watch a movie, whatever.... just fine. As soon as I load World of Warcraft... it's only a matter of time... as much as 2 hours or as little as 30 sec in-game... but random restart is inevitable. THanks for the help so far. Any more is appreciated.

Txmarshall2

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
All voltages appear to be normal, no wierd power losses, no over or under voltage, I've tested the outlet to make sure it's got steady power. Don't think it's power, but at this point I'm about ready to start buying components and testing one at a time. Sigh.

Txmarshall2

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Well thanks to everyone who posted here trying to help me out. It has been traced to a faulty PSU. The people over at the MSI Fan forums hooked me up. After mountains of testing i have a new PSU on the way. Let's hope this solves the problem definitively.

SelfRevolution

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

i have troubleshooting too with MSI 890FXA GD70, 1055T, Calibre GTX265HM. The result is you must buy VGA ATI. May the problem finished hehehehe.....

aholen

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I'd like to know if the PSU fixed the problem because I have a similar problem. I've been playing Warcraft3 for 3 years on my current computer with no problems until a couple weeks ago when my computer started occasionally and suddenly rebooting while playing. Lately, it seems to be getting worse. I've had it reboot on me several times today to the point where it is unplayable. AND IT ONLY REBOOTS DURING WARCRAFT3. For example, it never rebooted when I was playing Dawn of War Retribution last week.

I've tested the RAM with memtest with no errors. I've tested the graphics card with a couple different stress testers and no problems. I stress tested the CPU and it was fine. I checked the hardware and all the fans are running fine. I ran a hardware monitor for temps and voltages and they were all well within limits. I completely reinstalled Warcraft 3. I put on a new power cord.

However, the rebooting is getting worse. My Compaq computer is about 3 years old. It came with a Bestec PSU and I'm thinking about replacing it unless someone has a better idea. Anyone?

Well actually people often race to blame a power supply, but pretty often it's the motherboard itself. Sometimes it will do that because the CPU heatsink is clogged up with dirt and dust.

aholen

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I FIXED THE PROBLEM MENTIONED ABOVE. I switched the .exe for warcraft III to run in open gl mode by adding -opengl at the end of the .exe file. Haven't had a problem since then until the other day when I accidently ran wc3 without open gl and it rebooted almost right away. I suspect an aging graphics card is the culprit.

Killerbuds420

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Hi i had this same problem for a long time and i finnally figured mine out....somehow when formating win7 my bios got messed up it had my RAM timings and voltage WAY off....go look up your ram and check if bios has timings and voltage set propper :) i hope this helps we ALL know Microsoft isnt doing anything about it

bouchet

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

bouchet

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
I had the same problem tried everything finally tracked it down to the power on button it was sticking just touching to make the computer shut down and then switch on again. I striped down the switch and fitted a spring problem solved the switch is common to all computers so add this to your checks for this problem. the case was a Lian li I have now fitted a ian li replacement the replacement has a spring so could be a common fault

profkefah

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
follow this
download ccleaner from thislink
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jtznxp8cx8bhhc9
install it only
donot run it
then download ccleaner enhancer from this link
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5j2bjxex8d5hb59
run it
and press download latest