Windows 7 RC after retail version comes out..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mmjeffrey

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Alright, so i am debating whether or not i am going to download and use the Windows 7 RC over my current XP. I know for sure I am getting windows 7 retail when it comes out and was wondering if that means I would have to go back to windows xp (via clean install) then do an update to Windows 7 retail when it comes out? because that sounds like a pain. OR- will I just be able to update it straight from the RC? OR- will i have to buy some OEM version or somethin (not entirely sure what that is) and use that instead of update?

Many questions... very confusing.

Also I only plan on using 4gb RAM on my computer never more and never less so..... 32bit or 64bit?

Thanks

Maul555

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

Some people will tell you not to bother with 64bit unless you have 4 gigs of ram or more, But I have noticed performance improvements with 2 gigs of ram in games by going 64bit. Crysis in 32bit vista, and Crysis in 64bit vista was definitely different. I recommend you go with x64 no matter what.

Jonmor68

Distinguished

This is from the Windows seven forum:
"Microsoft recently confirmed that it is also possible to upgrade a pre-RTM version of Windows 7 with a Windows 7 Upgrade edition. This means that users who are already running Windows 7 RC (or another build) can buy a Windows 7 Upgrade edition and get a full installation of Windows 7 this way.

There are some limitations on the other hand. No data will be taken over. The installation will move the old data into the folder windows.old from where the files are accessible. Most programs on the other hand will not work unless they are portable.

It also has to be noted that a clean install at a later time requires a Windows XP or Windows Vista installation (or a new installation of a pre-RTM build of Windows 7)."

cocokiwi

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007

YOU do NOT need to reinstall(as I just found out) after you do the install without doing the Product code! The system gives you 30 days to validate!

To Validate: goto SYSTEM in control panel and look in the bottom left corner! click on it and the Product screen will come up,just punch in the code and hit it!

Mine keeps telling me Someone is already using it( ME) of course! why cannot they check and realize it IS me!

Thinking Win 7 can be installed the same way!

TO ALL!

ONE glearing thing I HAVE noticed:

MS in it,s infantile ways! ONE MUST USE "MSCONFIG" to activate the other core,s in that new 4 core CPU you just brought!

AS MS did not put anything in there to AUTO ACTIVATE to other cores, ONE HAS TO DO IT MANAUALY. And it keeps telling you that you have Turned of some startup programs! The problem is you cannot turn on the CORES in NORMAL mode!

MS needs to change this !
CHEERS

Dennis

:hello:

cocokiwi

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007

I would invest on a couple of newer drives though,they are VERY cheap right now! REASON! The newer 3gig SATA drives are coming and they want you to buy the OLD ones .....

$80 for a 1 TB drive,anint shabby! :eek:

I,ve done this already!(grin) XP 64 /Vista Home 64 /Win-7 64/ Ubuntu linux 64bit I have 3x 1 tb drives 2 internal 1 external backup!

Cheers Dennis :bounce:

G

I've been running 64 bit for about a year and a half and had no issues with any software at all. Anyone that installs 32 bit on a new computer is just a plain old moron.
By the way, what is Windows 7 RC? Is it a trial or something?

You call people who don't install 64-bit morons but you didn't know what RC was? Time for a self-check idiot.