Windows 7 RC after retail version comes out..

mmjeffrey

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Alright, so i am debating whether or not i am going to download and use the Windows 7 RC over my current XP. I know for sure I am getting windows 7 retail when it comes out and was wondering if that means I would have to go back to windows xp (via clean install) then do an update to Windows 7 retail when it comes out? because that sounds like a pain. OR- will I just be able to update it straight from the RC? OR- will i have to buy some OEM version or somethin (not entirely sure what that is) and use that instead of update?

Many questions... very confusing.

Also I only plan on using 4gb RAM on my computer never more and never less so..... 32bit or 64bit?

Thanks

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
I'm hoping you'll be able to update from the RC to retail, but if it stays on my PC for the 13ish months without a reformat then it'll probably be time for a format anyway (I format my pc every few months to keep things running nicely).

If you're running 4gb RAM, get the 64-bit. If you're running less, get the 64-bit, time the general public slapped developers in the face and force them to start making their software 64-bit >.>

daship

Distinguished
I've been running 64 bit for about a year and a half and had no issues with any software at all. Anyone that installs 32 bit on a new computer is just a plain old moron.
By the way, what is Windows 7 RC? Is it a trial or something?

Takes one to know one. how could you not know what Windows 7 RC is? Whos the moron now.

There has never been an upgrade path from RC to RTM. If there were, people wouldn't have to own a previous copy of Windows to purhase the upgrade... and M$ can't have that.

RC = Release Candidate. Been that way since XP. There are usually 2 or 3 betas, then 2 or 3 release candidates before RTM (Release to Manufacturing). The "trial" you've been hearing about was actually the beta... I have my key, but I never did get around to installing it. I will probably download the RC and install that, however.

I played around with the Vista betas and release candidates as well.

cybot_x1024

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008

Haha! Nice one! Seriously who doesnt know RC?! All forums and tech sites are all talking about it and there is someone who does not know it?
Say you are using 2gb of Ram on a modest pc, are there any real gains in switching to 64bit from 32 bit? Calling others Morons baselessly just shows the moron one is . . .

geekstrada

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
To the OP:

Go with 64 if you are going to use newer 64bit compatible applications. Also, depending on your video card, you might be able to address as little as 3GB of your 4GB of memory with the 32bit version. So it depends on what apps you are going to run.

And to this douche:
I've been running 64 bit for about a year and a half and had no issues with any software at all. Anyone that installs 32 bit on a new computer is just a plain old moron.
By the way, what is Windows 7 RC? Is it a trial or something?

Uno. Not all legacy software is 64 bit compatible.
Dos. If you don't know what Windows 7 RC is why in the hell are you posting in this thread?

Jonmor68

Distinguished

While it's technically possible to upgrade from W7 RC to the retail version, it's NOT recommended or supported.
You could be buying trouble, best to do a clean install.

abc_1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
HP, Lenovo, DELL and Sony Windows 7 Upgrade program
Upgrade windows 7 program is no good, when you buy a new computer from HP, Lenovo, DELL and Sony, you will get quick recovery copy, for example: if you replaced the hard drive to new or you have a super virus or more, you can put the recovery media in DVD drive restart the computer, after up to 30 minutes you have a new system and all drivers include service programs is installed, fast and easy, but if you have an Upgrade of windows 7 and you replaced the hard drive to new or you have a super virus or more, you start with recovery of windows vista up to 30 minutes then you continue to windows 7 Upgrade up to 60 minutes (Upgrade needed a lot of time), then you needed to install new drivers (only if you have a problem), how needs it had pain, all computers have needs to reinstall the windows at least of minimum one time in a year for maximum preferment (depend of computer work burden), so fest recovery it is up to 30 minutes and Upgrade recovery it is up to 90, and you cannot go to drink a café you must replace the DVD and more, windows back up is not good because it is work whit windows original DVD only not the recovery DVD, so the best thing to do is do not buy a new computer or windows vista (windows vista is true garbage ) and wait to 22 of October, or if Microsoft is to consider to release the windows 7 only on OEM computers like HP, Lenovo, DELL and Sony for little early like on 22 of September, so do it please because no vista and no Upgrade for work it, your old computer yes can hold one or two months more, if not go for XP or Linux for two months .

Incorrect.

You will be able to perform a clean install with upgrade media in the same fashion you were able to with Vista. Your assertion of Vista being "true garbage" puts your opinion into the "true garbage" section...

OEMs do not provide a simple upgrade disc most of the time... they provide you with actual recovery media containing the new OS. Either way, reinstalling the original OS will most likely be unnecessary.

Mooglesrcute

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Im confused.

Can you perform a clean install using the windows 7 upgrades?

If so, how do they check your xp/vista authentication? do you input your previous cd keys at installation?

(not sure if this information is readily available, as the product is not out, yet those of you who have done this song and dance before probably have a good idea of how microsoft works.)

98 -> XP upgrade - Could install without 98, could use CD as "Proof" for upgrade
XP -> Vista - Required Previous version to be installed. HOWEVER ther was a "work-around. You could install Vista WITHOUT entering a Key, Then re-install WITH the Key.
NOTE THIS WOULD BE ILLEGAL without owning a qualifing copy of windows. (I received my FREE upgrade by purchasing XP Prof.)

NOT Recommending this to circumvent having a legal copy of previous version(s). But was a good way to keep old system on while checking out New. Ie Dual boot WITHOUT using a boot manage.

The question, Was this a goof that was corrected in Win 7, only time will tell.

PS
I wish abc_1 would stop his garbage, I think this is the 3rd time I've seen it.
ZipZoom what ever - If someone has a valid reason, or simply wishs not to use 64 Bit operating system - DOES NOT make them a moron (a classification assigned by IQ Level). In which case I have a feeling that more than a few can match or excede your IQ level.
On a personal note I do not like being called a moron!!!

cehtan

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
hello.
can i install both window xp and window 7 rc version on diffrent partition??/
my configuration is-
320 gb hard drive
intel core 2 duo ...2.67hz
2 gb ram
nvidia 8400 512mb

manny_32

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Well to be honest windows 7 is so much better then Windows vista and windows XP. Not to metion alot of the basics are back for windows 7. Not like windows vista which really did not take a rocket scientist to get around it but had alot of microsoft die hard users dissapointed and confused on how to get around it. If you don't understand OEM and retail it is easy OEM version is a version sent to you by your PC manufacture, And retail is the one you pick up at bestbuy or any other place they sell Microsoft windows. To me honestly I have retail and OEM and none look different. Their both the same except for the registration # and that the start menu does not contain any Dell or HP support on the retail version. But other then that you can rest assure that you can do a full backup of your XP Files then do a clean install of windows 7 then run restore file backup and wala you have you old settings on a new windows OS. Just make sure that you have a CD backup done or some type of Harddrive backup that is not on your Main harddrive Where you are going to reformat and place Your new windows OS on it. But definetly take the plunge into windows 7 You will love it. It sure made me a beilever. vista was always a good OS as well dispite the critics. I guess none really knew how to use it. Because before I knew How to use it it was the crappest OS ever really slow. But then I learned like anything else and found it to be faster then windows XP Really. but now with windows 7 you really don't have to do what I did to make it the best OS ever it just installs that way. it is vista the way it was meant to be for even non experienced users to have a fast and efficient PC. Best of Luck
Manny

manny_32

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah to answer questions on will it work on old pC's Yes it does very well Just that some old PC's have graphics onboard of 64MG's or less which will give you problems for Aero view. But all Crappy old hardware other then graphics work great not like Vista. but don't expect a 5.9 Or 7.0 on hardrive performance. your experience might be a 1.0 but still it kicks ass, Not like getting a 1.0 in vista geezzzzzz!. well take care.
Manny

It's not a "goof"... that much I can tell you. MS didn't make it well known to be sure, but they did nothing to discourage it either. You'll be able to use Windows 7 upgrade media to perform clean installs regardless of what previous version of Windows you own (from 2K to Vista only, of course). Now what check it will perform (if any) for a previous version is somewhat unknown at this point.

manny_32

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009

nO THERE IS NO UPDATE FROM WINDOWS XP TO WINDOWS SEVEN ONLY VISTA TO SEVEN., AND RULES STILL APPLY VISTA HOME PREMIUM TO SEVEN PREMIUM, VISTA BASIC TO SEVEN BASIC,. AND SO ON. ALL OTHER OS OLDER THEN VISTA AS FOR EXAMPLE XP WILL NEED CLEAN INSTALL. ALL YOU CAN DO IS BACK UP DATA FROM XP AND RUN IT AS A RESTORE FILES ON WINDOWS SEVEN OR USE TRANSFER WIZARD TO TRANSFER SETTINGS FROM OLD PC TO NEW PC. XP AS WE KNOW IT WILL BE DEAD. ONLY BIG CORPORATIONS WILL BE INTITLED TO AN XP TO SEVEN UPGRADE AND THAT WILL BE FROM WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL TO WINDOWS SEVEN PROFESSIONAL. THAT IS IT. AND WHEW THAT IS GOING TO BE UGLY TRUST ME IF YOU CAN'T HAVE AERO VIEW. FOR IT IS ONLY FOR BUSSINESS PURPOSE. SO NO WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER OR NOTTING OUT OF THE ORDINARY YOU DIDNOT HAVE WITH WINDOWS XP PRO. EXCEPTIONS MIGHT HAVE TO DUE WITH GRAPHIC CARD OR ONBOARD GRAPHIC TO LET YOU HAVE AERO VIEW. OTHER WISE BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!. AND WINDOWS SEVEN PROFESSIONAL WON'T BE AROUND FOR EVER EITHER WINDOWS SEVEN ULTIMATE TAKES IT OUT LATER ON IN THE FUTURE. SO I GUESS THE ONLY WAY TO GET A BUSSINESS COPY IS TO GET IT BOOTLEG, OR THROUGH MICROSOFT AND IF YOUR PC IS NOT NEW AND NOT A CORPORATE PC IT WILL NOT BE FREE. GO WITH CLEAN INSTALL XP IS GOING OUT LIKE WINDOWS 95 AND EVEN 2000 WHERE YOU CAN'T EVEN GET WINDOWS UPDATES ANYMORE. SO IF YOU WANT DUAL BOOT WITH SEVEN AND XP EHEHHHH WRONG NO SUCH THING THE FUTURE WILL BE VISTA WITH SEVEN THAT IS THE NEW DUAL BOOTS FAMILY. I DON'T MAKE THE RULES I JUST GO WITH THEM. PEOPLE 2009 GET WITH THE FUTURE OR GO WITH MAC. IT IS ALL UP TO YOU. i FEEL PEOPLE JUST NEED TO STOP COMPLAINING AND GET NEW PC'S STOP THE UPGRADES ON OLD ONES THEIR TO EXPENSIVE ANYWAY. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH VISTA ALL THE RUMOURS WHERE FAKE ANYWAY. NEW PC NEW OS NEW OS NEW PC AND I DID IT THAT WAY AND *** THE OS'S ALL WAYS FLEW ON ME. AND CRYBABY'S WHA, HATE VISTA CAUSE I DON'T HAVE A NEW PC OR CAN'T AFFORD ONE ALWAYS HAD THE PROBLEMS. LET'S BE HONEST HERE. YOU CAN REPLY TO ME AND SAY I AM WRONG THAT YOUR PC WAS NEW AND VISTA WAS GARBAGE BUT YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE ONLY LYING TO YOURSELF. AND THAT GOES FOR ALL VISTA HATERS. HATE DELL,HP AND PC MAKERS FOR ALWAYS DIGGING IN YOUR POCKET DEEP FOR AN NEW PC TO WORK GREAT FLAWLESSLY WITH ALL NEW OS,S NOT MICROSOFT.

manny_32

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
And no using 32-bit does not make you a moron. 64-bit still operates on a 32-bit anyway. like internet explorer has really no value on 64-bit anyway. all the goodies are for 32-bit anyway. I have 64-bit windows seven RC running on my pc but i can tell you that all programs like windows media everything you do office runs by default as a 32-bit application unless you program it to run 64-bit applications, which is a waste of time. so abc you think you run 64-bit codecs applications and 64-bit internet explorer lol. you can but you have to set it, it is not by default. third party applications don't really make programs to run in 64-bit anyway to really enjoy your internet browsing. try it open up internet explorer(64) on your start menu and try to get adobe reader or any shockwave even silverlight does not work good. noting is good on it.32-bit still runs the show, maybe in the future of pc,s 64-bit will be reconized. so don't trash 32-bit. 64-bit is good for memory options to go with 4gigs and higher that is it. as for performance it is a spit in a bucket from 32-bit. Because it is useless if your processor is the only thing to support the OS. because buddy if you don't have chipsets that truly support 64-bit you will still be stuck with 3.25 gigs out of 4 to play with.all chipsets have an option to install for 32-bit or 64-bit but it does not mean they truly supports 64-bit, it is just a way for you not to get an error saying this is a 64-bit os and 32-bit chipsets are not supported. but guess what all in all it just covers the fact that 32-bit chipset was installed on your 64-bit machine under the false pretense it was made for 64-bit.and you thought you where the freak of the tweak, that is intel for you, I know trust me. I have a 64-bit chipsets that are 945 64-bit and guess what still no 4 gigs I have installed, can be read. But i knew this I just got the 64-bit copy of windws seven just to prove that point. And intel is scared of my calls, they know I did my research well, and blew the cover up out the water. now they say they have the new series 6 or some garbage that really makes 64-bit to 64-bit let's find out shall we he he lol.

manny_32

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009

Ctaver

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
mmjeffrey,

I am running the 64 bit Windows 7 RC 7100 now.I have 3 hard drives.

Have Xp Pro sp3 on one & Win7 on the other, my third hard drive I use

for data & image backups.Once I am done with Win 7 I can just restore

my image of Vista Home premium Sp2 to that drive.This is the best &

easiest option for me. Hard drives are not that expensive. I use the

Western Digital drives. I will never give up My Xp Pro. For advanced

users You may want to consider what version you get, Home or

Professional, I do not think Home includes the Group Policy Editor.I also

suggest you get the OEM version of Win7 if you can, a lot cheaper & its

not an upgrade disk, so no problems. My Xp & Vista are both OEM.

I just installed 4 gigs of Crucial 667 ram for about $80.00. For 64 bit Win

7 thats all you need,My Win Xp Pro 32Bit & Vista HP 32Bit of course only

see 3 gigs. Thats ok for me becase I plan on going with the 64 bit

Edition of Win 7. The Win 7 64 bit install went without a hitch, it

installed all the drivers I needed, I just had to install the latest 64 bit version of

Catalyst 9.6 & my monitor driver. I also found that all my 32 bit applications worked without any problems.

This is the only way you will really know if your system is fully compatible with Win 7 64 bit,& all the programs you want to use with it. Once you buy the software your stuck with it. IMHO its risk free.

Good Luck.

If you have an existing version of Windows, it's usually better to purchase the upgrade... buying a retail license will give you more flexibility that buying an OEM license. Not to mention that the price difference between OEM and upgrade is almost negligable anyway... full retail is always the most expensive option. With the upgrade, you get full retail at OEM prices.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I don't think anybody gave a straight answer to this topic. I installed Windows 7 RC x64 on my wifes computer yesterday and it was a snap... took maybe 15 minutes and had every driver including the ati 4670 :) how cool is that?

I was just assuming that when windows 7 is actually released that there would be some kind of upgrade path out there for RC 1 users that didn't involve a format, and I was trying to find out the answer.

I laugh at people talking about maybe waiting a year after windows 7 is out for them to "get the bugs out". From everything I've seen... Windows 7 is basically Windows Vista SP2. Vista had some resistance from people who aren't smart enough to go into system configuration and turn off UAC.

And just to avoid posting in another thread.... I actually had this "IT Staffer" at an agency we deal with tell me they were going to move everything to windows 7 soon, and do we write our programs to be compatible with windows 7... he went on to try an explain to me that windows 7 is a mix between windows vista and xp in that it has all the good features of each of them.

At that point I wrote him off as a moron who probably shouldn't be in charge of purchasing software for the company he works for. I'm still sticking to my guns... If you bash windows vista, you're obviously computer illiterate.I