Windows 7 RC Date Spied for May Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fetttson

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
I meant to install the beta, but I just never got around to it. Now that I know the RC is just around the corner, I'm waiting for it to be released before I give Windows 7 a try.

Siggy19

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
I missed out on downloading the Beta and am now building my own PC. Frankly, I'd prefer not to buy Vista and then have to pay to upgrade it to Win7 so I'm eager for the RC to be available. I hasten to add that I have no problem with paying for Vista and getting a free upgrade to Win7, but not with having to pay for the upgrade. If Microsoft want to avoid crippling their revenue this year, I suggest that they quickly confirm the upgrade process and cost for Vista owners.

Ho0d1um

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I currently have Windows 7 as my OS on my Desktop. I was quite surprised that it ran well on my Desktop before I upgraded it last month.

Old System:
Athlon XP 3000+
Asus A7V8X-X
2GB Ram
Nvidia 7600GS (AGP)

The only problem I had was when installing programs it took a while to start the setup.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I have the most recent leaked Winows 7 (7057) and it has been awesome, very stable. The only thing that has been an issue is the fact that only one or two CD ROM emulators work with it and they have minor issues getting nstalled as well but, I worked around that issue and the fact that PunkBuster has not yet released a version of their program that will function properly on the betas....

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Already using the 'supposed' RC1 build. 7057. Aside from a desktop.ini bug (or debug, who knows) I'm sure they'll update to fix, everything is running just fine aside from bunkbuster. Evenbalance needs to get off their butts, and do something aside from penalize legitement gamers. Meh.

But anways, quick, speedy, with decent driver support atm, along with the new options to remove windows 'features'. I'd say I'll stick with RC1 until the full release shows up on MSDN servers, at which point I'll promptly upgrade to.

HermDawg

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
On Windows 7 build 7000 now. I'm impressed with the stability compatibility with old software (a lot, but not all of my software works). It even feels snappier than my old XP build.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]HermDawg[/nom]On Windows 7 build 7000 now. I'm impressed with the stability compatibility with old software (a lot, but not all of my software works). It even feels snappier than my old XP build.[/citation]

Same here, Win 7 64 bit, build 7000, I can confirm all you said ...

rigaudio

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Fetttson[/nom]I meant to install the beta, but I just never got around to it. Now that I know the RC is just around the corner, I'm waiting for it to be released before I give Windows 7 a try.[/citation]
I'm in the same boat. Have heard nothing but praise for W7, can't wait to try out the RC.

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
waiting for the gig of ram I ordered from newegg to try out build 7057 on my Fujitsu T4010D tablet...didnt want to bother installing windows 7 with only 512mb of ram...hopefully everything works out

MJRSnyder

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
[citation][nom]Ho0d1um[/nom]I currently have Windows 7 as my OS on my Desktop. I was quite surprised that it ran well on my Desktop before I upgraded it last month.Old System:Athlon XP 3000+Asus A7V8X-X2GB RamNvidia 7600GS (AGP)The only problem I had was when installing programs it took a while to start the setup.[/citation]

I'm running Win7 on a very similar system and I agree completely

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Still running build 7000 and loving it. I have build 7057 but haven't gotten around to installing it. At this point I might just wait for the real RC. Regardless, I have been thoroughly pleased with Win 7 so far.

G

may could mean may 1th, or may 31st!
so it's still a good 2 months; time enough to fix the last issues and bugs.
I'm not confident that Windows 7 will be any improvement over XP.
The past has proven it never has.
Win 3x was faster and better then win9x. Then Win Me/2000, only to be replaced by win XP, and Vista.
Always heavier, always bigger footprint, and slower.
Many of the functions aren't even necessary, and could easily be implied in WinXp, or win98.
I'd love to see a company taking in the MS challenge to make operating systems compatible with XP and Vista and Win7, only lighter and cheaper.
Lots of people would go over to the other operating system.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]curnel_d[/nom]Already using the 'supposed' RC1 build. 7057. Aside from a desktop.ini bug (or debug, who knows) I'm sure they'll update to fix, everything is running just fine aside from bunkbuster. Evenbalance needs to get off their butts, and do something aside from penalize legitement gamers. Meh. But anways, quick, speedy, with decent driver support atm, along with the new options to remove windows 'features'. I'd say I'll stick with RC1 until the full release shows up on MSDN servers, at which point I'll promptly upgrade to.[/citation]
I was trying to get Evenbalance support to listen to me on a fix that would work! But they basically said "fuck off I don't care"

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I have the beta on my laptop, but I don't use it much. I was really annoyed that it used libraries by default when opening my user folders or explorer. Luckily that's fixed in the RC back to the normal behaviour of actually going to the user folders when clicking on the start menu links.

When I got my hands on the Vista RC, I swaped everything I had to it and only used XP for compatibility purposes. I was desparate to rid myself of XP after having the same thing for so many years.

I might do the same complete switch over to the Win7 RC when it comes out, but I'll be testing it first. I'm definately going to miss some of the stuff that was changed from Vista though (the removal of icons from Explorer's task pane).

G

using build 7000, works great on Fujitsu T4220 tablet, loving the improved writing recognition, seems to even get better battery life under win7 than xp too

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Been using 7000 till recently, Just upgraded to 7048 (gave 7057 a miss coz of stability probs a mate of mine had while using it). Thing runs like a dream in 64bit, quicker than xp and vista by a long shot. Also I'm glad they fixed IPSEC VPN in the newer builds coz it really sucked not being able to work from home.

davethetech

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
[citation][nom]Ahslan[/nom]waiting for the gig of ram I ordered from newegg to try out build 7057 on my Fujitsu T4010D tablet...didnt want to bother installing windows 7 with only 512mb of ram...hopefully everything works out[/citation]
i tried out win7 on my satellite r10 tablet, 1gb ram/2ghz pentium m/80gbs, it ran great for as old as the system is (2005) but i was limited to some drivers that haven't been yet released... wifi didn't work. i've heard nothing BUT good things to come from this build. It is the newborn of a better windows era. vista was rebuilt HOW MANY TIMES??? HAHa... great comments everyone.

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
[citation][nom]davethetech[/nom]i tried out win7 on my satellite r10 tablet, 1gb ram/2ghz pentium m/80gbs, it ran great for as old as the system is (2005) but i was limited to some drivers that haven't been yet released... wifi didn't work. i've heard nothing BUT good things to come from this build. It is the newborn of a better windows era. vista was rebuilt HOW MANY TIMES??? HAHa... great comments everyone.[/citation]
I just installed win7 and everything seems to run fine except that I cant get any chipset/video drivers working and therefore the tablet wont go into portrait mode :'( ...but besides that, everything seems really good...just need intel to provide drivers....

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
[citation][nom]csturtle[/nom]using build 7000, works great on Fujitsu T4220 tablet, loving the improved writing recognition, seems to even get better battery life under win7 than xp too[/citation]
Ive also noticed the improved writing recognition and battery life...i just cant get my video drivers to install properly...

Status
Not open for further replies.