Question Windows 7 rebooted - lost pretty much everything

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thebone

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hey folks.

Something weird happened and I am kinda rusty as my machine had been stable forever.

So My PC has Windows 7 ultimate.

I tried to launch my media server on my roku, no such luck. Thought "oh, PC must have rebooted"

So sure enough I went into my office and it was asking for me to login. Password didn't work, which was odd.

So I used password recovery software and set it to blank password, rebooted back into the machine.

But then I noticed my desktop was blank except for the recycle bin which I thought was odd. The GIU now looks like Windows classic, not Windows 7. Again odd.

I didn't see icons loading in the task bar so I went into all programs from the start menu and noticed most of my apps are gone. Like 90% gone.

So I decided to go into my C drive to maybe look at my windows/old folders and that is when I noticed immediately upon entering My Computer that all my drives, save where the OS is loaded, have 100% free space. Like everything is gone ? 6 TB of files gone. No Windows.Old folder.

I tried looking in user accounts but there is only the admin account in there. It doesnt appear that I am logged into a guest account.

Any suggestions for things I should do/try ?

I am not sure what happened. Friday night I went to sleep on the couch watching shows from my media server on a roku.

Sometime between 1 am and 5 pm Saturday, everyting just...poof. Went awry.

Any help is greatly appreciated !

Thank you in advance !

thebone

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
A random hacker does not randomly uninstall "some" applications.
Nor would they delete 100% of the apparently lost 6TB.

Someone known to you, maybe. Someone playing a nasty prank.

But again, this is where a good backup routine comes into play.

Yeah, that's probably the route I have to take.

Thank you