Question Windows 7 recovery issues.

tmarkk

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
Alright, trying to install windows 7 on ssd, previous installation corrupted on hdd. Hdd boot into startup recovery but it does no good. I've manaus to explore the files trough there, and tried to startup the setup.exe, but it says 'The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present.' Tried with commant prompt, same story.

Some measure how desperate I am? Cd wont boot, I can read the files just fine on another computer, another drive didnt help. Same story with usb, it just wont boot. Data type switched many times, probably tried every possible option. I've switched boot order like a million times. Even tried hard drives with working windows installations, they only caused bsod. Ubuntu booted from another hard drive but unable to run setup.exe.

Now I've ran out of ideas. What else there is to be done? Everything is seemingly working, except windows wont boot. It just wont.

tmarkk

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
First, when installing Win 7 on a system with both a SSD and a HDD, you should disconnect the HDD during the installation. That way Windows won't install any system files to the HDD.

Have you tried downloading a current Win 7 ISO and writing it to a USB drive to install from?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7
I'm going to discard the hdd anyway because the computer will be on vehicle. Bumps may trigger another bsod. Tried with and without hdd present.
Install files are very old indeed, I shall try with newer files. Which one is better, USB or CD?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I'm going to discard the hdd anyway because the computer will be on vehicle. Bumps may trigger another bsod. Tried with and without hdd present.
Install files are very old indeed, I shall try with newer files. Which one is better, USB or CD?
It doesn't matter as long as the source is readable the targeted system. I would go the USB route in the event that the current optical drive has issues (defective, dirty, etc).

tmarkk

Prominent
Dec 5, 2018
Got it working, and I became a total fool. All the fighting since September, was because...
drumroll

Folder.
My install files were in a folder. Obviously they seem fine when I open the files on os interface, but without os something as simple as folder is apparently an impossible obstacle to overcome. Made new boot drive with no other difference except nothing is in any folder that is made by me. First attempt, worked like nothing was ever wrong.