Windows 7 Repair Loop Issues

Hutchinson JR

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Hello,

First of all let me say I only have a very basic knowledge on building PC's but this weekend I decided I'd teach myself and I have successfully built a rig.

I have a new 120gb samsung ssd which I would like to have as my primary Hard drive, I also have a older seagate hard drive with windows 7 on it from my old pc.

I read somewhere that I will need to clone the seagate hard drive to transfer the OS over to the SSD, the problem being that when booting up my new pc with the old hard drive on it, after seeing the windows loading screen the whole monitor flashes blue, the pc restarts and then it asks me to do a automatic repair..
I have ran the automatic repair numerous times and I've been told that it cannot fix my computer, so I done some research and followed this guide:-
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html
to try and fix the issue.

This didn't work so I was talking to one of my techy friends and he said I needed to do a clean install, but I have no idea on how to do this considering I can't actually get into windows.

Sorry about the long post and sorry if you're all face palming hard at my stupidity and noobness but I'd really love some advice on how I can get it working.

Many Thanks

Solution
You can't move a Windows setup from one system to another unless they have the same or nearly the same motherboards. Do a clean setup on the new drive. You don't get into Windows to do a clean setup, you need to use a Windows disk to boot from and run the setup from there. You need to buy a new license of Windows for your new computer, 7 or 10 is best.

mudpuppet

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Chances are the new system (if I understand you correctly has all new parts inside) is not working with the old drive. The HDD doesn't recognize the set up and is thus erroring out. I can't speak to the cloning bit as I do fresh installs on new OS disks. Personally, I would (if you still have the old system) plug the HDD back there and make a windows 7 install disk. If you have a legit copy, you can download the .iso file from microsoft and make your disc that way, then install the OS clean on the SDD in the new system. After that you should be able to add the HDD to the new system under the SSD and boot to the SSD always. That would allow you access to the data on the other drive. Someone else can speak to cloning, but this is what I would do (and have done).

You can't move a Windows setup from one system to another unless they have the same or nearly the same motherboards. Do a clean setup on the new drive. You don't get into Windows to do a clean setup, you need to use a Windows disk to boot from and run the setup from there. You need to buy a new license of Windows for your new computer, 7 or 10 is best.

Solution