Windows 7 Saves 43 Hours, or $1,400 Per PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I've been trying to convince my company to upgrade to windows7 for the longest. Still on XP on computers that can handle windows7. I can't count how many times I had to do reinstalls or use ASR because of glitches etc.

dacman61

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
I've avoided Vista like the plague, but Windows 7 runs fantastically for me... I currently run it in a VirtualBox session on top of latest version of Kubuntu.

nahdogg

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Maybe it's my machine but my 4 month old lappy with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit needs to be rebooted constantly...I'm not sure if it's conflicts with apps or what but going from XP 32 bit to Win7 I'm not impressed thus far...tons of IE hangs, action center hangs, lots of end tasking.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
I have started with the Beta version at the office and never get any issue from the day 0. And 7 save a lot of time for me for searching document / application, I never use the shortcuts (except the pinned applications) or the big program list under the "start" menu.
Now I'm on an XP station, and I see the difference in my daily job, its slower, longer to find applications & documents.
7 is definitely a winner OS.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I'd like to know what kind of avg productivity / worker they are using. Say my employees just twitter and updates their facebook all day then a pen and paper can save me the cost of the computer itself.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I convinced my company to let me build the machines and put windows 7 on it.. We've had a few problems like to old of a print server but other then that the users seem to love it.. The learning curve is a little bit more but after they get used to it they love it.. So we have started putting out 5 new boxes a month with it.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Windows 7 is absolutely the best OS imo. Faster, lighter, and more stable than both XP and Vista. But, i know so many people, who have good PC's, that don't want to upgrade to Win 7. C'mon, XP is out from 2001, 9 years old OS, and Vista isn't that stable OS. Upgrade already, it's 2010!!!

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Whilst I am skeptical of the numbers, I definitely have to admit the faster boot times/smoother operation is noticable, since I switch back and forth a lot, and maybe $1,400 is pushing it, but some savings due to time is feasible.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'd guess these numbers are assuming that people are busy the full 8 hours of the day and wouldn't be doing something else with the time that they "saved."

I love Windows 7 and try often to convince the boss that we should go to it, but I usually don't like fuzzy statistics either.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
[citation][nom]nahdogg[/nom]Maybe it's my machine but my 4 month old lappy with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit needs to be rebooted constantly...I'm not sure if it's conflicts with apps or what but going from XP 32 bit to Win7 I'm not impressed thus far...tons of IE hangs, action center hangs, lots of end tasking.[/citation]

My guess is it's simply that you're running the 64bit version with 32bit apps/games. Something still not recommended.

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]Whilst I am skeptical of the numbers, I definitely have to admit the faster boot times/smoother operation is noticable, since I switch back and forth a lot, and maybe $1,400 is pushing it, but some savings due to time is feasible.[/citation]

I agree. It's a company study, so best take it with a pinch of salt.
But I must admit, 7 is way better than old XP.....I've never run XP on my current rig, but a friend with an AMD triple can barely run two apps simultaneously on XP but on 7 plays CoD, encodes audio and makes a DVD image at the same time- with out even any frame rate drops.

G

Until 7 gets proper driver support (even dual-screen nVidia is buggy) I'm sticking with XP. I always go with the latest fully supported OS version until I'm forced to use the newer, inevitably slower, "latest thing".

COLGeek

Cybernaut
So....was this calculation made before or after the training required to teach the business users how to use the new interface and navigate around the new configuration?

My organization is currently undergoing a transition from XP to Win7. Initial participants in the transition are "power users" like IT folks and other volunteers (screened for tech competency---geekage req'd). It has not been a smooth transition for users or agency applications and a lot of workarounds have had to be developed.

I can hardly wait (note sarcasm) until we roll out to the rest of the organization. I expect to spend a lot of time helping my seasoned workforce adapt to Win7 and it won't be pretty.

Let the games begin!!!

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]madass[/nom]I've never run XP on my current rig, but a friend with an AMD triple can barely run two apps simultaneously on XP but on 7 plays CoD, encodes audio and makes a DVD image at the same time- with out even any frame rate drops.[/citation]
when was his xp installed? you do know that xp gets slower with time...

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Daggs[/nom]sorry, I don't buy it, bring me a non sponsored ms findings and I might believe it.[/citation]
+10000000000000000000000

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
on the contrary...

My school of thought is that if I upgraded all the computers in my office to windows 7, it would be a disaster. It may be a big time saver w\ younger computer literate folks... but in my office for example where most of the ladies are in their 40's or past that, it would be a support nightmare.

I'd be stuck wasting half my time trying to train people, and they in turn would lose time because of their computer illiteracy and inability to see how similar windows 7 is to 2000 or xp.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]itadakimasu[/nom]but in my office for example where most of the ladies are in their 40's or past that, it would be a support nightmare.[/citation]

I'm in the same boat. The jump from Office 2003 to 2007 was bad enough. Also - Win 7 deployment BLOWS. There is absolutely no good/supported way to set a default profile on the machine. Everyone gets the same (lame) "oobe" when they log in for the first time. About the only thing you can set to default is the theme. Taskbar/Start menu icons are not retained during the sysprep copy profile stage.

[citation][nom]stromm[/nom]My guess is it's simply that you're running the 64bit version with 32bit apps/games. Something still not recommended.[/citation]
I have never had issues with 32-bit apps/games under Win7 64-bit. Even Vista 64 was fine in that respect.

With 8 gigs of memory on my Vista system and 12 on my Win7 system, 32 bit was not an option.

I to this day have had no issues with Win7(other then one system I built that had a bad stick of ram.) or even vista, but I only got that after the first SP was released.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]itadakimasu[/nom]on the contrary...My school of thought is that if I upgraded all the computers in my office to windows 7, it would be a disaster. It may be a big time saver w\ younger computer literate folks... but in my office for example where most of the ladies are in their 40's or past that, it would be a support nightmare.I'd be stuck wasting half my time trying to train people, and they in turn would lose time because of their computer illiteracy and inability to see how similar windows 7 is to 2000 or xp.[/citation]

I've installed it on several "computer illiterate" people's machines at work. I've had a few support calls from them, but ultimately Windows is Windows...once you open the programs you want to use, they work pretty much the same way they did on XP. It's not really a big deal. Of course, they don't use half of the new features, but they like the fast boot times.

mihoda

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Upgrades in commerce and industry are going to be tied to compatibility with in house and legacy software so I expect, as usual, that the efficiency of the OS is going to have a very minimal impact on upgrade timetables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS