Windows 7 search residual files and folders

cedricr

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
hello all,

i have windows 7 starter running on my pc and when I search for files or folders that are sure present on my PC or want to search for remaining files or residual folders after uninstalling programs in windows 7, the search function in Windows 7 finds no remaining files or residual folders(in the case of uninstalled programs or folders and files that are sure present on my pc), even when I search in "computer"(via windows explorer).this happens with both indexing enabled and disabled.i enabled all of the search options(REALLY,I ENABLED ALL OF THE OPTIONS THAT ARE POSSIBLE.)i really need this because after a while my hdd will be full of unneeded files and folders.i also tried ccleaner but without succes.
can anyone help me with this,please?if necessary with a different search tool,but preferably in windows 7 itself.

ps:i think it has nothing to do with indexing but i am not sure of that.

HELP!!!!!

thanks in advance.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

if your drive is full then it is full. after you delete a file it moves the information into a temperary holding state which is highly compressed known as the recycle bin, after that is empteyed then it is gone, really really gone.
There will be some programs that will leave residual file (especially crappy antivirus programs). After uninstalling, go look in your programs folder and then delete that folder if it remains, then you will need to run a registry checker like ccleaner to unlink the registry from any of those remaining files to keep things from hanging or timing out. Be careful with this method as you can really screw things up very badly if you are not careful!
other than that, just go around rt clicking on folders to see what sizes they are, and then see where your HDD hogs are. Windows search is only good at finding things you want to find in specific, it is a terrible tool at finding what you dont know exists.
Also, try running disc cleanup (windows explorer, rt click the hdd, properties, disc cleanup), it is the easiest way to clean out all the trash, internet files, temp files, and compress old files that dont need to be used all the time.

cedricr

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011

hi,caedenv

is there a less time consuming way to look for residual files and folders MANUALLY?when i remove some games or programs or other things that has been installed on my system,it happens often that there are residual files and folders are left behind(eg in program data or app data or program files, etc.)i searched for those residual stuff with the search engine in windows 7,without results(but the residual files and folders ARE PRESENT IN MY PC) how can I automatically find and remove this stuff?

thanks in advance for helping.

:bounce: :bounce: