windows 7 shutdown auto

purpleturtle

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I had an ageing system and had a quick look to see if it could be brought up to date since it had a decent monitor albeit not a flat screen, enough HD space and was running sweet. I just didn't use it anymore but would if it could play battlefield 4 for example. However having seen that the cost of pc gaming still is ultra high I could get an xbox one instead for same money.
But what I noticed at first was in fact it stopped running sweet - the CMOS battery was set at 2002 and kept needing to be set otherwise websites using https wont show in chrome. Ok thats fixable and especially since I was looking at replacing the MB anyway. But it was switching off itself with message 'logging off' in normal windows 7 fashion after about 1 minute sometimes maybe a bit longer.
I thought a virus at first but no popup etc...and I tried the virus fix in 'run' to abort a shutdown...no joy. Ok well that also might come out in the wash with a new GPU and MB.
However this is an ageing tower and is a bit yellowing so for me I don't think its even worth keeping now - its off to the tip. But I would like to get my stuff off the hard drive. I couldn't do it since I didn't get time as it kept shutting down. I had read that I need to check all components are well seated and to try and eliminate things from a list of potential culprits.
I tried to disconnect my second HD which is in slave so this shouldn't have given me an issue. however now I get a system32/hal.dll missing - even when I plugged power back into that HD.
Did the bios make an auto change if for some reason and is trying to boot from the wrong drive...I tried to change that in bios but it seems to go to the same error. Anyway if your like me you love a good PC mystery and I would like to fix this before taking it to the tip. You might think of some last minute things I can try.
I cant remember how to try to get into safe mode. Maybe I will try that from a search.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
This,

"the CMOS battery was set at 2002 and kept needing to be set otherwise",

I presume you mean that the time and date in the bios are set wrong over and over.looks like the motherboard battery that needs to be replaced,it looks like this,
https://ikbenstilcomputers.nl/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x650/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2260/2260_-_ikbenstil_moederbord_batterij_cr2032_3v.jpg
after that you will need to go into the bios and reset it to the "default optimal values",also check the time and date again and put those right.When done save=F10+y+enter.

If you still have problems after the replacement let us know.

For save mode you can try to enter save mode by tapping the F8 key right after powering up the pc,you should get a menu where you could opt for save mode,choose the one with network possibilities.

purpleturtle

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
hmm my reply seems to have not come through - quite annoying really. And its just a comment not an answer !

Ok a less detailed reply !

You are right on the battery front. Couldnt get into safe mode. could do alt +f2 and this showed me an 80 pin connector to secondary ide thing. From memory it may always have been there.

Anyway I took a photo and cant attach it here ! More frustrating. + Don't remember this being an issue here a long time ago. I guess the system isn't really worth anything and the tip is calling. I will keep the hard drive as someday I might get access though haven't needed the files since so doubt I ever will. Thanks for your earlier reply.