Windows 7 Sold Early at College Bookstore

Status
Not open for further replies.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
My school is supposed to start selling them on the 23rd. Only thing is; they didnt say which version it will be and or what bit. Also, no word on the price for it. Knowing my luck, it will be basic 32-bit at only $10 off normal price. Fingered crossed for ultimate 64-bit at

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
My school is supposed to start selling them on the 23rd. Only thing is; they didnt say which version it will be and or what bit. Also, no word on the price for it. Knowing my luck, it will be basic 32-bit at only $10 off normal price. Fingered crossed for ultimate 64-bit at

xrs

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
In Europe (Poland to be exact) we've had a full version of Windows 7 (the RTM with a key that activated without any problems) available for *FREE* download since 13th of August from MSDN Academic Alliance.
It's pretty sad that you have to pay for it in the US...

Intel_Hydralisk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
@xrs: Uh, it's not just Europe. Any school that's part of MSDNAA has had it for free download since Aug. 13 (my old school has had it since then). It's just schools that don't have MSDNAA (at some schools, only certain majors get access to MSDNAA as well), you can buy it from the bookstore. So it's not a special European deal.

pcnut55

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I did get a copy of windows 7 a couple of weeks ago from an educational online retailer. It works perfect and is win 7 64 bit ultimate. Got it for $99 plus shipping. My tech friends were very jelous. Like I said it works perfect. I checked how much memory was being used and it is taking .6 gig at idle and .93 under a load. Have not checked with photo shop yet or with after effects but will post when I do this week.

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
in this age of high speed downloads...if it is released on dvd on 10/20/09 why the hell no released the digital copies early?

i'm ready to download and upgrade...

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Bought it from the campus tech store last week for $7. Ultimate 32 bit and Ultimate 64 bit. The student media never comes in the full retail package you just get the DVD in a sleeve and the activation key, that's it. I wasn't really surprised they were on sale because Microsoft usually lets schools break the release date on almost all of their software. They want it in the kids hands.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Our school has Win7 Ultimate 32 or 64-bit on sale now for $6.95 each. The deal sounds great until you realize your semester tuition includes a mandatory $104.25 "computer fee" to make sure there are enough iMacs in the library for everyone that doesn't maintain their own PC.

Rancifer7

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
At my Best Buy, we sold a Windows7 Desktop a few days ago. We had to call them and ask them to bring it back. Which was ok with them as they couldn't figure out how to log in...

I really wonder sometimes.

G

Wow, alot of people really don't know whats going on. I go to Texas A&M, and about a month ago I walked into our software dept. and bought Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate for 15 bucks, and installed it that night. This was early-mid September. Most public university's are part of the Microsoft licensing agreement, and most if not all should get it at this same price. There's not even a limit on how many to purchase theoretically. Word 2007 is actually 20 bucks, even more than 7.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]xrs[/nom]In Europe (Poland to be exact) we've had a full version of Windows 7 (the RTM with a key that activated without any problems) available for *FREE* download since 13th of August from MSDN Academic Alliance.It's pretty sad that you have to pay for it in the US...[/citation]

Actually... you silly ignorant out-of-towner, members of MSDNAA in the US receive the same deals. So don't stick your nose out too high when making continental comparisons
Myself, I've running 64-bit Windows 7 Pro for almost a month now and havn't had to pay for a thing. I think it's great that Microsoft includes such perks for students and apply it to their business model of having not only the latest and greatest, but keeping it as available as they can for the people that will be working with it.

davcenmt2

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I've had my copy of windows 7 for over a month. since at my university, if you are enrolled in any computer science class you get it for free.

nerdherd

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I too get Windows 7 for free through MSDNAA :) Two copies of 32-bit and two copies of 64-bit...I won't have to pay to upgrade a single computer of mine, yay!

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
There is one tiny thing you students have overlooked. The licensing agreement with the schools stipulates that those licenses are valid LONG as the students remain as a student with the school. Once she or she graduates those licenses actually become invalid. Now of course it won't stop you from using it after you leave school but those deep discounts are meant for educational use only.

Which is why I like using TechNet subscription since I have access to everything for my own use.

roxim5

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]There is one tiny thing you students have overlooked. The licensing agreement with the schools stipulates that those licenses are valid LONG as the students remain as a student with the school. Once she or she graduates those licenses actually become invalid. Now of course it won't stop you from using it after you leave school but those deep discounts are meant for educational use only.Which is why I like using TechNet subscription since I have access to everything for my own use.[/citation]

Interesting how you say this. At the MSDNAA website, one of the Student License Agreements state:
"When you are no longer taking credit courses in the member school, you may no longer obtain MSDNAA software. However, you may continue to use previously installed products on your computer, provided you continue to follow MSDNAA program guidelines."

So as you can see, your statement is false, and students can continue to use the free software that they had received while they were students.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I got mine thru Jounery Ed. and I got it about a week ago

and guess what Im using now :)

Its much better than Vista thats for sure. and Vista gave me no problems for the past what 3-4 yrs. and Im expecting the 7 to be even better :)

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Haha people who buy Windows 7 XD

Its not worth the money because its basically a souped up Vista.

Enjoy your same boot times.

Status
Not open for further replies.