[SOLVED] Windows 7-SSDs-Windows 10

Nov 23, 2019
I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium in a RAID 1 configuration (using Intel Rapid Storage Technology software to create and maintain the RAID) with two WD 1 TB drives. I want to upgrade the drives with SSDs. I have several questions if you would be kind enough to answer.
  1. Will Windows 7 Home Premium accept and operate the new 1 TB SSD? or do I need a special driver as someone else has suggested to me.
  2. Can I just pull out one of the WD hard drives and replace with an SSD? Do I have to format the SSD first? Will the RAID populate the SSD with everything on the operating WD drive including the boot sector and OS?
  3. Can I then buy an additional SSD and repeat the process?
  4. If I can get that to work, I then want to upgrade the whole thing to Windows 10. Are there any problems running Windows 10 upgrade with the SSDs in a RAID 1 configuration?

Solution
RAID 1 isn't a constant clone, nor is it a replacement for a backup.
It is simply to ward off physical drive fail for continual uptime.

For a backup routine? I use Macrium Reflect.
Given an external drive, it is pretty seamless. And it actually works in the recovery phase, I've had to use it.

#2. You shouldn't have to do anything. Remove one of the original HDD's, and put in the SSD.
Let the RAID array rebuild itself.
Later, swap out the remaining HDD and let it rebuild itself again.

Of course, have a known good backup before you start, just in case anything goes wrong.
(but if you have a good backup, you don't need the RAID 1...;) )

Nov 23, 2019
Thanks for the quick response. On number 2, do I have to format the SSD first, or will the RAID just populate it with a clone of the other Hard Drive?
WRT your question, I get tired of running and managing backups, and they never seem to work when I want them to. I just wanted a constant clone of the primary drive that could replace it without any hassles with what configuration I last had working.
BTW, I'm retired AF too.

USAFRet

Titan
RAID 1 isn't a constant clone, nor is it a replacement for a backup.
It is simply to ward off physical drive fail for continual uptime.

For a backup routine? I use Macrium Reflect.
Given an external drive, it is pretty seamless. And it actually works in the recovery phase, I've had to use it.

#2. You shouldn't have to do anything. Remove one of the original HDD's, and put in the SSD.
Let the RAID array rebuild itself.
Later, swap out the remaining HDD and let it rebuild itself again.

Of course, have a known good backup before you start, just in case anything goes wrong.
(but if you have a good backup, you don't need the RAID 1...;) )

Solution
Nov 23, 2019
Do you use the free version of Macrium Reflect?
I have a 2 TB external drive that I use with Windows 7 Backup. It says it is backing up an image periodically. Why is Macrium Reflect better than the Windows Backup routine?

USAFRet

Titan
Do you use the free version of Macrium Reflect?
I have a 2 TB external drive that I use with Windows 7 Backup. It says it is backing up an image periodically. Why is Macrium Reflect better than the Windows Backup routine?
I use the paid version on my main system, and free on all the others.

Why Macrium? I simply find it a much better tool.
Many more features and functions than the Windows backup gives you.