Question Windows 7 Startup Issue

Sep 25, 2020
I am running Windows 7 on a Dell laptop. I had some memory problem with Visio so I tried to increase the heap desktop limitation according to this MS post: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/performance/desktop-heap-limitation-out-of-memory
I changed SharedSection in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems to a higher value.

After changing the registry as instructed in the above post and after restarting the computer, Windows won't start properly. It gives me two choices after turning on the pc. Normal mode and startup repair. Normal mode leads to stop error " stop c00002la fatal system error" and shuts down the computer. Startup repairs looks for recovery image. I went to registry in startup repair mode and check what I had changed and it had the original value again( SharedSection=1024, 20480,768 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems )
I read in some other Microsoft post that I should run DrWtson but apparently it's missing on my pc. Any idea what is causing this and if this can be fixed?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS