Windows 7 Startup Loop, Any solutions before i reinstall?

M3lsheR

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Hello, i'm having this issue where Windows 7 gets stuck at "Starting Windows", I've been trying to solve this problem for almost two days now to no avail.
Here is a list of everything i tried:-

-Tested RAM, each stick on its own.
-Checked fans, all of them are working fine.
But i still lubricated the stiff ones just to be sure.
-Checked HDD, I can open it with Rescue disks, i also performed a disk scan using Eset SysRescue disk
-GPU is okay, since i have no on-board graphics, i wouldn't be able to see anything without it working fine.
-System Recovery goes to black screen with cursor then after 15 minutes it loads up but its incredibly slow with each step taking up to 4 minutes. No restore points. No Operating systems.
-Scanned with rescue disk, found some threats and deleted them. (Scanned with Malwarebytes and Avast last time before this issue happened, found some PUP and got rid of them).
-Last good configuration
-Booting without driver signing
-Safe mode loads a few files then stops, first time it stopped at some avast files which i deleted, they were a bunch of .sys fil in Drivers, aswell as anything avast related on the computer in Users folders and both Program Files folders.

Which brings me to the current situation, i'm still facing a system brick with another file while trying to boot into safemode, Now its "classpnp.sys" causing the issue.

Well, at first i thought it was just avast, so when i found out that i have to delete/rename more .sys files, i might aswell just install a fresh windows instead of tearing down my System32 file by file.
But before i do that, Is there anything else i should try? Did i forget about anything?

Thanks in advance.

PC build if it helps somehow:
CPU: FX-8320
GPU: R9 270x VaporX
HDD: 2x WD CaviarBlue 1TB
RAM: 2x FuryX DDR3 4GB
PSU: ThermalTake Smart630w Bronze
Mobo: Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
Case: Zalman Z3 Plus
Nothing is overclocked.

Solution
Yep. installed windows just fine, HDD was not the issue.
I'm 90% sure it was avast causing the problem.
With that being said, i recommend anyone who is using avast on windows 7 to replace it with anything else. I'm currently using bitdefender with malwarebytes.

M3lsheR

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Please elaborate?
I dont think i have any restore points or system backups.
I tried startup repair and it didnt work as stated in the thread.
I've also tried windows repair from the windows disk itself and it goes to a black screen with cursor after loading then into the window where i choose the language to install windows somehow.

Hi

Simplify
One stick of memory and only one hard disk ( the one which has windows and c: )

Boot from a rescue disk that has western digital data lifeguard for windows
Example hirens boot cd 1.52

Test hard disk for physical damage, bad sectors etc
If disk is ok
Boot from windows 7 sp1 dvd or usb and try startup repairs

If disk damaged then replace hard disk and re install windows to new hard disk

Regards
Mike Barnes

M3lsheR

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Thanks for the response, Mike.
First of all i did test the hard desk already with Eset Rescue disk, it had a HDD test utility, Found nothing wrong with it.
Which is further proven by the fact that i can transfer files around in the hard drive and i can access everything on it using said rescue disk, i did backup the important files i had from C to another partition.

I tried to boot from a windows disk and tried system repair, it doesn't detect an operating system and i have no restore points.

I believe i tried everything i could try so i'll just reinstall windows now, if it works, then Avast is to be blamed, (might have deleted some sys files or messed up something here or there)
If it doesn't then the issue is HDD related somehow, and ill just replace it.

Thanks for the suggestions either way.

M3lsheR

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Yep. installed windows just fine, HDD was not the issue.
I'm 90% sure it was avast causing the problem.
With that being said, i recommend anyone who is using avast on windows 7 to replace it with anything else. I'm currently using bitdefender with malwarebytes.

Solution