Windows 7: Straight from the VPs Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I think they should just stick with Vista, I have it on 3 PCs and I have had no issues so far. I don't think ditching Vista and rushing into another OS is the answer. They do need to fix user control in Vista, I just turn it off.

somasaint

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
dear M$,

finding it hard to go fishing with bait that you purposefully made
to annoy the end-user? [read: vista]

you have continually done nothing to console the REAL people who
have used vista...

how strange that M$ products work perfectly, once they have
been modified to behave AGAINST the way M$ intended..

-crack'd

that is how the business world works. they see alot of people hate the current product so they tash it so to speak and try again to win as fast as possible. I too have windows vista ultimite installed on my pc and have not had any blue screens or any major unexplained crashes.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
What Microsoft needs to do is go back to the old days. Make two versions of Windows 7, a Home Edition and a Professional Edition. Create a "Plus" Package for all the extended features.

Under the Plus package, Microsoft needs to bundle the following with it.
Internet Explorer, Media Center, Tablet, Themes, etc. By removing all this otherwise bloatware from the Windows 7 DVD, the product will be less expensive and will comply with US and EU fine guidelines.

Microsoft should also think about reducing the number of Office packages they sell also, a Home Edition, Standard Edition, and Professional Edition should cover what they want to sell, it did in the past!

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I say they should drop 32bit support in Winblows 7. I'm tired of searching for applications I used to use on XP, able to run in 64bit Vista. Confusing much (most companies don't even list when/if they are 64bit compatible), I hate buying software to install, and be unable to use it! (can't take it back now, it's opened). And disable that user controll (If I didn't want to install the program, I wouldn't have hit "Install"). Drop the Aero (usless garbage, granted my system can handle it easily), and remove the usless bloatware (superfetch for example).

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]I too have windows vista ultimite installed on my pc and have not had any blue screens or any major unexplained crashes.[/citation]

I have Vista installed on 4 PCs in my house and my parents' house, one with Ultimate, 3 with Home Premium and I've yet to have a single major issue with any of the installs, for more than a year now. The oldest PC (my mom's) is an AthlonXP 1800 with 1GB of Ram and an old GeForce 256 which runs Vista pretty nicely, considering it's age. It's only used for office apps and web surfing, but she prefers it to XP.

The only thing that bothered me, but seems to be fixed now, was the horrid transfer rates using WinExplorer to copy/move information out of compressed zips. Being that I use WinRAR anyway, it wasn't really that big of a deal.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
AndrewMD, right on! That would be a perfect world though, MS can't makes it's billions without competing with Apple, too bad apple knows how to unify apps soooo much better.

I would prefer something like win 3.1 where only the most basic utils were included, notepad, calc, etc, and I could modify to my hearts content. A little bit of eudora here, and a little bit of netscape there. Throw in a little win32s if ya need to run Freecell.....That sorta thing. :)

jcwbnimble

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
The problem with MS products is, the more "user freindly" they make them, the worse they get. Doesn't MS wonder why the vast majority of the Windows user base is still using Office 2003? My school district won't even upgrade to OfficeXP or 2007 just because of the huge learning curve. Why does Redmond keep trying to "fix" that which isn't broken.

I just built a new PC for myself about 6 months ago. I hadn't decided which OS to use, Vista or XP. I visited my aunt who has a new Sony laptop with Vista on it. After trying to help her with all the stupid Vista security pop-ups and other bloatware in the OS, I chose to install XP pro on my new computer. I don't care if Vista is stable and rarely gets a BSOD, it's just too annoying for me to use on a daily basis.

Mr. Gates, just build an OS that is stable, like XP, make it fast, like XP, and stop adding bloat to the OS in the name of a better "user experience".

Oh, I'm a PC tech and I absolutely hate trying to tweak any settings on Vista. It shouldn't take a Thomas guide to figure out how to change the IP settings. I'm tired of MS adding crap to their software. Make it clean, fast, and stable. Period.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
There isn't anything terribly wrong with Vista but there is nothing terribly wrong with XP and it performs better. I have dual boot system with Windows XP Pro 32bit/vista Ultimate 64bit. I game heavily sometimes with Dual 8800GTX's and do some 3DMax Modeling, hobby with Photography and the Adobe CS3 suite and tons of Web development tools and utilities. Just the thought of getting all that to run as fast and stable on Vista has left Vista out. If all I did was surf the web and play with some games from time to time Vista would be fine. I don't understand people that don't really do anything on their machines and always praise Vista. My opinion is than that Vista is a noob OS and not for me.

Leave Vista alone and market it to the casual user but build a high end fast, lean OS for the rest of us. Loose the Aero and fluff. Fluff is for OSX noobs.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
[citation][nom]jcwbnimble[/nom]The problem with MS products is, the more "user freindly" they make them, the worse they get. Doesn't MS wonder why the vast majority of the Windows user base is still using Office 2003? My school district won't even upgrade to OfficeXP or 2007 just because of the huge learning curve.[/citation] Do U realize that Office Xp (released with Windows XP) came before Office 2003? So switching from Office 2003 to XP would be a downgrade...

G

"I don't understand people that don't really do anything on their machines and always praise Vista. My opinion is than that Vista is a noob OS and not for me."

I develop program in Visual Studio with Vista Ultimate 64bit, that alone beats your 3DMax, Photoshop. Who's the noob here?

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
How about provide native support to POSIX standard as well as user option to install GNU developing tools natively, not with the buggy and insecure cygwin stuff, even the option to change the whole window manager so that we may run Beryl on Windows 7 after all (albeit some "make" commands are needed).

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
[citation][nom]IH8U[/nom]I say they should drop 32bit support in Winblows 7. I'm tired of searching for applications I used to use on XP, able to run in 64bit Vista. Confusing much (most companies don't even list when/if they are 64bit compatible), I hate buying software to install, and be unable to use it! (can't take it back now, it's opened). And disable that user controll (If I didn't want to install the program, I wouldn't have hit "Install"). Drop the Aero (usless garbage, granted my system can handle it easily), and remove the usless bloatware (superfetch for example).[/citation]

Wow.... you can’t get 32bit software to run on a 64bit computer? Wow... you are a real computer guy huh? Try compatibility mode, it works wonders! Just set it to run as XPSP2 and you will be good to go!

[citation][nom]jcwbnimble[/nom]The problem with MS products is, the more "user freindly" they make them, the worse they get. Doesn't MS wonder why the vast majority of the Windows user base is still using Office 2003? My school district won't even upgrade to OfficeXP or 2007 just because of the huge learning curve. Why does Redmond keep trying to "fix" that which isn't broken.I just built a new PC for myself about 6 months ago. I hadn't decided which OS to use, Vista or XP. I visited my aunt who has a new Sony laptop with Vista on it. After trying to help her with all the stupid Vista security pop-ups and other bloatware in the OS, I chose to install XP pro on my new computer. I don't care if Vista is stable and rarely gets a BSOD, it's just too annoying for me to use on a daily basis.Mr. Gates, just build an OS that is stable, like XP, make it fast, like XP, and stop adding bloat to the OS in the name of a better "user experience".Oh, I'm a PC tech and I absolutely hate trying to tweak any settings on Vista. It shouldn't take a Thomas guide to figure out how to change the IP settings. I'm tired of MS adding crap to their software. Make it clean, fast, and stable. Period.[/citation]

If you care about speed, they why use the slow XP. Go to 2000, its faster! Why stop there, 98 was quicker then 2000! These are the same arguments people have when something new comes out. Get over it! Grow up and accept change, it makes life a lot easier! Just because you aunt who has a Sony Vaio notebook runs vista (maybe poorly) does not make it a bad OS. Maybe it was a user error that causes the issues. Maybe the user was treating it like XP and not like Vista. There is a learning curve, but get over it. As a computer tech, I can not believe you don’t care about stability! What kind of PC tech are? You ganna fix someone so they aren't more stable, more secure? How the hell are you employed? As a Computer Tech (yeah, I work with apple too) that is our goal. Fix machine, make them faster, more stable, safer, more usable, more user friendly. I guess you don’t know any command prompt commands either... or how to right click on you network connection and go into properties... just... like... XP!!!

I do agree about bloatware, or crapware. Please reduce this! And put Google Chrome on W7 as well!

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]TemjinC[/nom]"I don't understand people that don't really do anything on their machines and always praise Vista. My opinion is than that Vista is a noob OS and not for me."I develop program in Visual Studio with Vista Ultimate 64bit, that alone beats your 3DMax, Photoshop. Who's the noob here?[/citation]

I really don't see your point here. Some people say those who use IDE are noobs, and they think they are better simply because they know how to use vim and write makefile. Some MFC programmers think those who use Windows Form programming are noobs, and some Win32 API programmers think MFC users are noobs. I don't care who is noob, and I only ask two questions: will that get my job done? and how much it costs?

Noobs are people who are on my team and ram the transport while I am onboard.

knipfty

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Strip out all the 32 bit code and make a 64 bit OS only. Package a virtual machine to run 32 bit XP compatible apps. Include Windows 98 and DOS in the virtual machine (Could be fun and nostalgic).

Make the OS as fast as possible. I really don't care about boot times since my machines are almost always on.

Since the market is now bumping up against the 4 GB limits of 32 bit OS, this is a great time move the market to 64 bits. Think of it, MS gets a new fast 64 bit OS out there on everyone's desktop and for those older apps, you get good old reliable 32 bit XP to run them on in a virtual machine. Sounds like a win/win.

knipfty

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Strip out all the 32 bit code and make a 64 bit OS only. Package a virtual machine to run 32 bit XP compatible apps. Include Windows 98 and DOS in the virtual machine (Could be fun and nostalgic).

Make the OS as fast as possible. I really don't care about boot times since my machines are almost always on.

Since the market is now bumping up against the 4 GB limits of 32 bit OS, this is a great time move the market to 64 bits. Think of it, MS gets a new fast 64 bit OS out there on everyone's desktop and for those older apps, you get good old reliable 32 bit XP to run them on in a virtual machine. Sounds like a win/win.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I still don't get why people complain about the security in Vista. Yeah, ok, that pop-up can be a little annoying, but at least you are aware that something is about to happen, and you can choose to allow it or not.

I sometimes wonder if it's the wrong doers that are encouraging people to turn off the Vista security features so that they have harvest those PCs and turn them into drones. For those running routers or other firewall products, check your logs. I get hundreds of hits every week from other PCs attempting to exploit mine. It's not a bed of roses out there.

I currently have Vista Premium 32bit, and when I decide to build my next PC I'm going to move to a 64 bit OS. If Vista 7 is available by then, I'll be giving it a good look. I do all my banking online, and security will be a number one issue for me.

hannibal

Distinguished
I do agree about bloatware, or crapware. Please reduce this!

Yep, the profiling, where you can deside what will be installed and what is not, can help in this. I am sure that most "funky" new stuff like multi touch screen support will only make Vista2... sorry windows 7 bigger and more bloated.
The stability, when drivers are ok, confirm that the core of Vista is ok, but just like many have said, there is too much "user friendly" adware running on top of it, that it can be real pain in the... uh... in some unconvinnient place.
So if that profiling is any good, it can help the situation. (hopefully at least)

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I agree that fewer tiers are better than more. Two different Home versions, a Business version, AND an Ultimate version? Are the needs of the customers really different? Does the existing separation scheme fulfill the needs of those bases while excluding things they can do without? It seems arbitrary to me. XP Home and XP Pro was weird enough.
If "profiles" is dropped, then I like the idea of a basic installation version of Windows with optional Plus Packs or whatever to turn it into a kind of "spin" if the user wants. Say the basic Windows retail box has the Windows 7 system for a basic, get-the-job-done installation and packs in a free Home User disk to add certain features like Media Player + Works or whatever.

But do we have any reason to believe that significant customer requested features would actually be integrated into the operating system set for a release just over a year from now?

[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]How about provide native support to POSIX standard as well as user option to install GNU developing tools natively, not with the buggy and insecure cygwin stuff, even the option to change the whole window manager so that we may run Beryl on Windows 7 after all (albeit some "make" commands are needed).[/citation]
Why would Microsoft do something to support interoperability and integration with its platform and competing, mainly Free Software products? I thought their strategy for market domination was real/preceived entrenchment?

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]Why would Microsoft do something to support interoperability and integration with its platform and competing, mainly Free Software products? I thought their strategy for market domination was real/preceived entrenchment? [/citation]

They've been doing that to get people transfer from Lotus 1-2-3 and WordPerfect to Excel and Word. One of Microsoft's strategy to achieve market dominance is inclusion rather than purely entrenchment. The company that purely reliant on entrenchment is Apple Inc. Otherwise, many people with a lot of old lotus or dBase files wouldn't make that change.

Otherwise, when wine and tv tuner drivers mature for free OS, they'll be in serious big trouble.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Why they drop the idea of profiles? I would love an OS where I right click the task bar, switch my profile to gaming, and the system automatically turns off resources not dedicated to gaming.

G

Techspank.com has a funny commentary on the "impending" arrival of Windows 7. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.