Windows 7 stuck at "Configuring Updates 61%"

Information System

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
I am currently stuck on the following screen and have been for the past 45 minutes or so:

rUIYAQl.jpg

I'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, this is not my primary PC and I'm in no rush to use it, however I don't want it to sit at 61% all day. What's the best course of action? I don't want to power it off obviously, but will that do any damage if I do? I might not have a choice.

Thank you

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
I've had this happen to me many times in the past... it's probably hung on the .Net updates. The reason this happens, at least during my cases, was when I tried to take a short cut with installing Windows Updates and selected too many of them at once after a fresh reinstall of Windows 7. In my case, I accepted like 300-500MB of updates that were pre-selected. I've learned that it's best to install them in smaller chunks.

The only thing you can do is hold the power button on the case for your computer to forcibly shutdown and re-run Windows Updates. After the scan, just uncheck a few of them so they'll install in smaller quantities. Most times you won't have any problems.

In this a new reinstall of Windows? If so, I would consider just starting over and reinstalling Windows from scractch again to ensure there won't be any problems. If not, just keep proceeding and see what happens... about all you can do.