Windows 7 System Image Backup Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2018
Apologies in advance for the tons of information, but I just want to clarify the many solutions I have tried, and why I believe I need to do what. This way, maybe someone can correct me and tell me that I have to do something else at any point. If you want to skip that and go straight to my current question, it will be bolded at the very end.

Hello, I have been trying to build a new computer, and got it to work for the most part, but in the process I accidentally formatted my hard drive (I know, I'm an idiot, but I've been at this for two weeks now so please have mercy). I tried unformatting it with a program, but my files were corrupted, so I have instead been trying to apply a system image backup that I saved.
To start, I am using:
■X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING motherboard
■Seagate 1TB BarraCuda hard drive
■Standard USB bootable thumbdrive
■USB external hard drive with the system image back up saved on it

I saved this backup of my computer while it ran Windows 7. When I tried using a bootable USB with Windows 10, it told me that the system image restore failed because "The processor architecture or OS version of Windows Recovery Environment is not the same as that of the computer that was backed up". This is why I am trying so hard to use Windows 7. I plan to upgrade to Windows 10 immediately after this trainwreck is over.

Now, I obtained a bootable USB with Windows 7 Pro x64 (which I believe to be my version), and tried using that. However, when the computer turns on, the keyboard and mouse are recognized, they light up and work in BIOS. But the moment it boots into the USB, they are completely unresponsive.
Looking at this page: https://superuser.com/questions/851143/windows-installation-media-cant-detect-keyboard-and-mouse
I have tried:
■Legacy USB = Disabled/Enabled
■Disabled/Enabled EHCI Hand-off
■Disabled/Enabled XHCI Hand-off
■Any combination of the three above
■Only using USB 2.0 ports
■After booting into the USB, unplugging and switching the device ports
■Using the top right or left USB port
■Using a different keyboard

In BIOS, I was not able to find:
■EHCI/USB 2.0 or XHCI/USB 3.0
■EHCI Pre-Boot Driver
■XHCI Pre-Boot Driver
■Windows 7 Installation option

My mouse and keyboard wont work in the boot menu for a Windows 7 bootable USB, but work in BIOS and as the computer is starting. None of the solutions I have tried worked. After searching, I found a forum that stated that some newer motherboards literally do not support Windows 7, and I might have to install drivers online to fix this. Considering that I can see the the boot menu from the thumbdrive, but the keyboard and mouse just wont work, is this what I need to do? And if so, how would I go about doing that? I can't boot off of the hard drive without windows, right? Do I need another hard drive to boot off of in order to install the drivers? Additionally, where could I find the drivers? I'm sorry for all of the questions and information. Thank you, and any answers are extremely appreciated.

Solution

It is on an external hard drive. However, I have now solved my problem. While a bit indirect, I solved my problem by just accessing the files inside the system image. I just needed specific files since I am upgrading to Windows 10 anyways and don't need all the system stuff. For anyone else who wants to do this, I just did it by mounting my external hard drive backup as a Virtual Hard Drive. I did this by booting into Windows 10, searching "Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions", selecting "Action" > "Attach VHD", and going to my backup in my files. For me, it showed three Hard Disk Image files. From my understanding, only one has your...
Nov 11, 2018

I tried recovering from the system image using a bootable USB that had Windows 10 on it, but it game me an error that said "The processor architecture or OS version of Windows Recovery Environment is not the same as that of the computer that was backed up". Is this a different method you're suggesting, and if so, how would I go about doing that?
Thank you

Nov 11, 2018

It is on an external hard drive. However, I have now solved my problem. While a bit indirect, I solved my problem by just accessing the files inside the system image. I just needed specific files since I am upgrading to Windows 10 anyways and don't need all the system stuff. For anyone else who wants to do this, I just did it by mounting my external hard drive backup as a Virtual Hard Drive. I did this by booting into Windows 10, searching "Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions", selecting "Action" > "Attach VHD", and going to my backup in my files. For me, it showed three Hard Disk Image files. From my understanding, only one has your files, the other two are stuff that your system uses. Mine was the biggest file. After choosing that one, it should act as just another attached hard drive.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.