Windows 7 system time keeps changing.

Zafaron_96

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
So I've got an ASRock motherboard that's about 3 months old and I'm running Windows 7. Earlier today, I started having a strange problem with the system time changing randomly. At first, I thought it was just a daylight savings time issue, so I disabled the automatic updating for daylight savings time. The problem still persisted. I also tried disabling the automatic time synchronization, but that didn't fix the problem either. I thought it may have been the CMOS battery, so I rebooted and checked the time in the bios. The bios shows the correct time/date. The only incorrect time and date is shown in Windows itself.

After this, I tried updating the synchronization task to run every 5 minutes, but the clock is still changing to a different time. The time change is random, from around an hour to up to six or seven hours. The date doesn't change, just the time. My timezone is correct, and as the problem persisted without having automatic adjust for daylight savings time enabled, I can't see that it's the problem.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? About the only idea I have left is some sort of virus. But AVG and Malwarebytes haven't picked anything up. Is there some kind of software that gets auto-installed that can screw with system time?

Zafaron_96

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
In case anyone else has the same problem, I finally figured out what was changing the system time. EVGA Precision updated recently and for some reason it was altering the clock. I'm not entirely sure why, but disabling EVGA Precision fixed the problem.