[SOLVED] Windows 7 system

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
I'm interested in building a new system with Windows 7 as the OS. I have a list of parts at https://pcpartpicker.com/user/andy_werber/saved/#view=tn3vjX. My requirements are that the price should be minimal, the processor should run at or above 2.2 GHz, and dimensions of the case be <= 16 inches high, <= 16 inches deep and <= 8 inches wide, but the smaller, the better. My main problem is trying to figure out if I can build something new that will allow installation of Windows 7. I would like to keep the total price below $500. The system would be used to run one piece of software that will NOT run on Windows 8/10, and the cost of replacing the software would be about $1000. Any help would be appreciated, including using better quality components, or adding something (like fans). While I could buy a refurbished machine, it would cost around $250, and I would be concerned that the lifetime of such a machine would be very short.

Solution
You'd better buy a second hand business-line PC from Dell, HP or Lenovo with your specs and clean it, install new thermal paste.... (easy task when you can build a PC yourself).

Those machines are built like a tank with high-quality parts and will last very longtime.

BTW you should avoid the desktop case, go with a tower case as it has better airflow and larger space, and most importantly, tower cases usually come with regular m-ATX motherboards that allow you to upgrade later.
You'd better buy a second hand business-line PC from Dell, HP or Lenovo with your specs and clean it, install new thermal paste.... (easy task when you can build a PC yourself).

Those machines are built like a tank with high-quality parts and will last very longtime.

BTW you should avoid the desktop case, go with a tower case as it has better airflow and larger space, and most importantly, tower cases usually come with regular m-ATX motherboards that allow you to upgrade later.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020

Thank you and the other folks for taking the time to answer my question. I found a better used Dell than I originally found, it's much newer.