Windows 7 taking over 5 minuetes to boot and login

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DanH29

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Okay, so I stated having this problem over 2 months ago, but it has pretty much reached its peak today. Today, i had enough time to watch 2 videos online in the time it took for my computer to turn on and login to my account. Once i am in windows, all of my applications work fine, infact, if fallows the proper startup path and boots normally, it just takes forever... So i have tried a few things, here are the ones i can remember doing:

System disk repair
CCleaner
MSConfig sys clean boot (There are only necessary programs running vital to the computers ability to perform)

I also checked event viewer inside and out and there are only about 5-6 errors, most of which happens outside of the boot.

If needed, here are some detailed specs of my computer:

Base model: Dell xps 8700

HDD1: 1tb (OS)
HDD2: 80G(Programs)
CPU: Intel core i5 4440 4th gen
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270X

If any other info is needed, just ask :)

I will appreciate any help i can get, thanks!

DanH29

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

Yeah, if you time it right, when you press F8 it gives you advanced boot options, at least on my machine...So I did that, and not much changed, so i also did Unolocogringo said, and Saved a boot log, and I uploaded the file HERE.
There are quite a few missing files, does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Have you ran the Registry checker part of CrapCleaner or just the Drive cleaner part?

To check and replace missing or corrupted system files you can run System File Checker.

Depending on version of windows.
Start. Run type in CMD and press enter.
OR
Start Type "CMD" in the search box .
Double click the CMD icon in the search results.

One the Command Prompt window appears, Type SFC /scannow and press enter. There is a space between the SFC and forward slash.
This will take a while, longer since your hard drive is so fragmented and will check and replace missing or corrupted windows files if it can find a good copy. to replace it with. If you have deleted all of the windows update files it may not find and replace all bad system files.

The log would be a lot more helpful if it has time stamps for every action that it's taking, so you can glance fairly quickly which ones if taking an extraordinary amount of time.

Missing files does not necessarily point to an error condition, this could be a perfectly normal program logic, hence an automated tool like cc clean would not detect as a problem.

I apologize if I have no further useful input on the matter. A long time ago, I learned if I keep good OS images I will never have to spend time on stuff like this, highly recommended going forward.

DanH29

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Alright, so it seams as if we are near the end of the road, does anyone have any last ideas at all? You never know when they just might work?!?!
Thanks so much for all the help and quick responses you guys have given me, this is crazy awesome!! So really, if you could, look at my other thread (I gave the link in one of my previous responses) and help me out with getting a new SSD, installing windows on it, making it my boot drive, and essentially speeding up the processes of everything.

I will pick the souloution when my boot time has decreased, if i end up with a working Bootable SSD by then, and everything is fine, then i will close this thread.

Once again, thanks for all guys!! Good Luck!

DanH29

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

This website only shows one souloution, which i have already done many times, if you read this thread and that website, The website says I should deselect startup programs, which i said i did in the opening thread question.