Windows 7 - the best way to get a copy, which version for DAW, W10 upgrade, etc

tom_martin22

Reputable
Dec 19, 2017
Hi all

I've been having problems with my WinXP PC and have decided it's time to move into the modern age :) Well, modern-ish....

As I understand it, until the end of the month it is still possible to get a Windows 10 FREE upgrade (via accessibility), so I need to move quick! My plan is to install W7, get the W10 upgrade, then compare the two. If I decide to roll back stick with W7, at least I'll have a copy of W10 waiting for me in the future. So here's what I'm hoping to find out:

1. Which is the best W7 for a DAW?
2. What is the best way (and cheapest preferably) of getting W7? Should I be looking at OEM, retail, etc?
3. Will the OS be tied to my system/HD, and if so is there a way to prevent this? As part of my PC shake up, I'm considering buying an SSD for the OS, but this will need to be done later down the line. I don't want to find out then that the OS is tied to the HD it was first installed on.
4. Will the Win7 version I get determine which Win10 version I can access for free?

Any help with these questions would be most appreciated, as well as anything else I might have overlooked.

Huge thanks

Max

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'm surprised the accessibility route is still open - MS were talking about closing that 'loophole' down over a year ago at this point.

1. Really depends on the applications/hardware. W7 Home is capped to 16GB RAM, Pro/Ultimate can go to 192GB. Windows 10 doesn't have the same restrictions .
2. If you want to run W7, then retail would be the smartest route. If upgraded to Windows 10, you can change hardware, even with the OEM version. Basically it boils down to Retail = support from MS, OEM = you're on your own.
3. Windows 7, yes, to the Motherboard not the HDD - if OEM purchased. Retail doesn't limit the same way. Upgraded to Windows 10 and you can move the OS. Reinstalling on the same hardware (or adding an SSD) isn't going to be a problem.
4. Yes. Home = Home. Pro/Ultimate = Pro.

Depending on the hardware, it may be smartest to jump straight to W10 license. If (really) older hardware, W10 may well be off the table.

FWIW, if you install W7, upgrade to W10 then downgrade back to W7 shortly thereafter, you do not get a "free" W10 license. You have a W7 license.
Equally, if you upgrade from W7 to W10 and stay with W10, you have a W10 activation - the W7 license is gone.

1st thing I would do is go through device manager and see if you can get Windows 7/10 64-bit drivers.

W7 is better for older applications.

W10 is going to be the de-facto platform going forward for gaming and best compatibility for apps.

As for version W7 home is good enough for most home users.
W10 again home is good but Pro is better, Microsoft seem to be hell bent of spamming Home with adverts in the future.

tom_martin22

Reputable
Dec 19, 2017
Off to bed in a moment, so a more thorough response will have to wait until tomorrow...

But first wanted to say thanks for the help.

Secondly, here's my details (I'll add it to my profile once I have enough posts):
Self Build PC
CPU: Intel Q6600.
MOBO: Intel DP35DP.
RAM: Corsair DDR2 2x2GB XMS 6400C5.
HDs: WD5000AAKS x2, WD2002FAEX.
GPU: AMD HD5450.
SOUND: EMU 1820m.
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET.
CASE: PaQ.

Thirdly, I am on a tight budget and just found this:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/operating-system-software/windows-7-profesional-2x-xd-boxed-with-manual-and-key-can-deliver-or-post-/1276685710

Granted that no-one can tell me if all is well with it and the seller, but can anyone say:

1. Whether there are fake retail Windows 7 packages that look that good?
2. What would happen if this was already installed on another computer and I tried to install it?
3. Is it a good price?
4. Anything else I need to consider?

Many thanks and see you in the morning!

USAFRet

Titan

No way for you to know if it is already installed elsewhere. And the activation servers will know.

tom_martin22

Reputable
Dec 19, 2017
Hi all

Sorry for the delay in coming back to this...

I'm thinking of forgetting about Win10 for now... From what I understand, if I upgrade to Win10 the upgrade will be tied to my PC/motherboard, and I don't think my current specs would be anywhere near ideal. I've read up on the MOBO, CPU, GPU and soundcard, and all these components get mixed anecdotal reports as to whether they work in Win10 or not. Even if by some lucky chance I DID get them all to play nicely, I'm guessing that Win10 will be more resource hungry than 7, and will therefore leave less oomph for the audio I want to use the PC for.

It closes on 31/12/2017.

That confuses me I must admit. I have found workthroughs on the net on how to get the Win10 upgrade (via Accessibility), roll back to Win7, but keep the upgrade open for future reference. As I understand it, you don't get a license, but rather a digital entitlement. This is then kept on MS databases and put with the details of your hardware so that when you go to install Win10 in the future it "recognises" you and authorises the installation. Is that wrong from your pov? Or have I misunderstood something? Furthermore, if I've got it right, if you try to use the upgrade on a new PC it won't allow you to as your HW will no longer match the HW you had when you made the upgrade.de.

I guess this might all be moot now as I very much doubt I'll be interested in Win10 on this PC. And the "license/entitlement" isn't cross transferable anyhow if I have understood correctly. But still interesting nonetheless.

If I can get hold of the license key from the gumtree seller of the Retail Win7 Pro, would I be able to use that to find out what the status of the license is? If so, how would I go about it?

More generally on that note, what has to be done for a Retail copy of Windows to be made available for installation on a new computer? If a computer breaks down and is not repaired, and the Windows (Retail) installation was never “de-activated”, how can it then be installed on a new computer?

Thanks for all the help :)

Max

USAFRet

Titan

Go here, and try to download the Win 7 ISO:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

It will ask for your license key to download. That may give you the status of Valid/NotValid.

There is no real "deactivation".
Just install it. If it says something like "This is already used elsewhere"....you may need to call MS and see what's up.
A true Retail license can be installed on new hardware. Of course, only one system at a time.

GeorgettaCZ

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
8th Feb 2018... W7 to W10 still working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just grabbed an older (2014), meant-to-be-broken Lenovo T540p laptop from our IT crowd stock. After a full OS Update of genuine W7Pro x64 (Norton IS said it was not updated for 1145 days... since it was laid up in the stock ), I downloaded Windows10Upgrade24074.exe file and BANG! DING! BOOM! I upgraded it to W10Pro in only 3 hours... Whoooopa!! Gam Nam Style ;o)))