Windows 7 Thinks it's on C: Drive

susanrs

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
Hello, everyone -

I have a strange problem. Here are my machine specs:

Toshiba Satellite P305D laptop with 4GB of RAM, AMD Turion 64 X2 processor (2.10 GHz) running Vista 32-bit on the C: drive. I also have an external monitor connected.

After researching it, I learned the system was capable of running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, so I created a second partition (D:) and did a "custom" install of Windows 7 to that partition. The installation went fine. The first thing I did was the Windows updates... all 123 of them.

When I boot into Windows 7, a number of strange things occur... the most troublesome of which are:

1. Windows 7 doesn't detect the external monitor, even though it tells me the drivers are up to date. (The dual monitors work just fine in Vista.)

2. When I go to Windows Explorer, it's showing Windows 7 as being on the C: drive - which it is not! (When I'm in Vista, it shows the D: drive as being Windows 7.)

When I downloaded a Windows 7 display driver from the Toshiba website, and tried to install it while booted into Windows 7, it wouldn't allow the install. When I looked at the path to which it was trying to install, it said the C: drive... and then it gave me an error message of some sort saying the file system was corrupted. (not sure how the file system could have gotten corrupted, since everything was running just fine prior.)

So... any ideas why Windows 7 thinks it's the C: drive? And could this be the reason why it can't detect the second monitor or allow me to update drivers?

Thanks in advance!

susanrs

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
Okay...thanks, unksol!

All my drivers are updated, but Windows 7 still doesn't detect the second monitor. Actually... that's not quite correct. It DOES detect the external monitor if I boot into Windows 7 with that monitor plugged in. But then the laptop screen is dark. If I boot into Windows 7 without the external monitor plugged in, the laptop screen will display instead. In either instance, however, when I go to my screen resolution settings to extend the desktop, only one monitor shows up in the drop-down box for "Display".

Thanks!