[SOLVED] Windows 7 to 10 update options with hardware changes

imthebigchief

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
Hello,

I am upgrading a previous file server that I got from one of my clients. I have already replaced the processor. Windows 7 has not complained about the hardware change, though I have not connected it to the internet since the change. I am also going to replace the hard drive and add a video card. The motherboard and memory will remain the same as the licensed and activated Windows 7.

So, what is the best option to proceed from here, or which is least likely to fail?

1. Clone the current HD to the new one, add the video card, hope it doesn't deactivate the Win 7 license for hardware changes, and upgrade from within Win 7, opting not to keep the previous data.

2. Add the new HD and Video card, while still not connected to the internet. Then install Win 10 fresh on the new HD, using the current Win 7 license to activate Win 10. (my preference)

3. Update it to Win 10 as it is now. Then clone and replace the HD and add the video card.

Thanks

Solution
Changing drives should not incur an activation issue. Same with changing the CPU or the GPU.
Changing the motherboard is what would.

You have many changes here. Do one at a time, and it mostly does not matter the order.

Your #2, the clean Win 10 install on the new drive, is the safest.

USAFRet

Titan
Changing drives should not incur an activation issue. Same with changing the CPU or the GPU.

You have many changes here. Do one at a time, and it mostly does not matter the order.

Solution

imthebigchief

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014

That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

All together - Drivers installed - Activated.

Now if I can get caught up on my work on other people's computers, and finish setting this thing up, I can get to some serious gaming.

Thanks again,
Chief