Windows 7 to go RTM by Late July

Status
Not open for further replies.

isamuelson

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cappster[/nom]Hopefully it will be posted to msdn by the end of July. My subscription runs out in September.[/citation]

Problem with the MSDN version is you're not allowed to run it in a "production environment." If you use your machine to surf the net, obtain email and play games, then it's considered production and you are violating your MSDN license. The OS licenses are for development and testing only.

Of course, I'm not sure if Microsoft really monitors all that stuff, but still, it's definitely a violation of your MSDN license.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]isamuelson[/nom]Problem with the MSDN version is you're not allowed to run it in a "production environment." If you use your machine to surf the net, obtain email and play games, then it's considered production and you are violating your MSDN license. The OS licenses are for development and testing only.Of course, I'm not sure if Microsoft really monitors all that stuff, but still, it's definitely a violation of your MSDN license.[/citation]
Every piece of MS software I am using right now is through my MSDN subscription, so I can tell you that they do not monitor it. Besides, I could argue that I am simply "testing" the games :) I really hope cappster is right and they release the RTM on MSDN. My subscription ends in August :( I would really hate to have to actually PAY for my software when the RC stops working in March.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]isamuelson[/nom]Problem with the MSDN version is you're not allowed to run it in a "production environment." If you use your machine to surf the net, obtain email and play games, then it's considered production and you are violating your MSDN license. The OS licenses are for development and testing only.Of course, I'm not sure if Microsoft really monitors all that stuff, but still, it's definitely a violation of your MSDN license.[/citation]
Not entirely true. There are some MSDN subscription eula's that only restrict comercial use. Though I find MS's partership program a whole lot more useful.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]HAHA... hope thats a joke[/citation]
The hourly crash probably helps him remember there is an outside world that can be explored

yjagota

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I really think that Vista was a debacle because of bad marketing. I am using it for a long time now since first beta, and it hardly gave me any problems specially after SP1. But no doubt, 7 is way better.

But still if M$ gives a sort of update, like if you purchased your Vista license in the last 6 months, you can upgrade to 7 in 40% of the cost, that will be awesome.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

isamuelson

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]Not entirely true. There are some MSDN subscription eula's that only restrict comercial use. Though I find MS's partership program a whole lot more useful.[/citation]

Okay. Didn't know that. I know the eula for my subscription (which is through my employer) doesn't allow us to use it for production use, just testing (development, etc).

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
[citation][nom]apmyhr[/nom]Every piece of MS software I am using right now is through my MSDN subscription, so I can tell you that they do not monitor it. Besides, I could argue that I am simply "testing" the games I really hope cappster is right and they release the RTM on MSDN. My subscription ends in August I would really hate to have to actually PAY for my software when the RC stops working in March.[/citation]

I agree apmyhr. MS is always in "testing" phase and I make sure to always send the error reports :). I've installed quite a few pieces of their software and haven't noticed a difference between retail and the software from MSDN. My subscription was free so that makes it even better.

isamuelson

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]Not entirely true. There are some MSDN subscription eula's that only restrict comercial use. Though I find MS's partership program a whole lot more useful.[/citation]

I found this statement on my license agreement with my MSDN license (which is a volume license, so that may be why):

Many MSDN subscribers use a computer for mixed use—both design, development, testing, and demonstration of your programs (the use allowed under the MSDN Subscription license) and some other use. Using the software in any other way, such as for doing email, playing games, or editing a document is another use and is not covered by the MSDN Subscription license. When this happens, the underlying operating system must also be licensed normally by purchasing a regular copy of Windows such as the one that came with a new OEM PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.