• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Windows 7 to Windows 10 Data Transfer

Jul 6, 2020
Dear community,

After 4.5 years of amazing service my MB and CPU finally gave up. The OS was Windows 7.

I am now upgrading the parts to be compatible with one another and Windows 10 so a new MB, CPU, DDR and GPU.

Questions is, as I cant boot up my current build, I cant save or transfer any files etc so how will I now access my HDD to retrieve my data? I am planning to use a SSD for Windows 10 and my HDD is functioning fine and that has Windows 7 on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Install Win 10 and make sure that the SSD is your boot drive. After that is done you should be able to plug your HDD into the new computer and access the data you require. Then once all the data is copied you can format the old HDD and use it in the new system.

Jul 6, 2020
Thank you so much for the reply! Sorry for what may appear as a stupid question, once the HDD is formatted, Windows 7 will automatically be erased? I can then use the SSD as my boot drive and my HDD for storage?

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
For the Win 10 install, have ONLY the SSD connected.

Later, connect the HDD and see what you can retrieve from it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY