[SOLVED] Windows 7 to Windows 10 or 11

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
In 2012 I bought a retail copy of Windows 7 Home edition and installed it into the system I built. Since 2012 I took advantage of a free upgrade to Windows 10. I am now looking at finally upgrading my computer system and building a new system. Is there any legal way to get Windows 10 or 11 installed on my new system using what I bought in 2012? I do not intend to continue using my old system once I build a new one.

Solution
@USARet I have Windows 10 on my current computer. I am looking to build a new one and want to have Windows 10 or 11 installed on that one so is what you said applicable?
Yes.

Look into your MS account, and see if your current system is identified there.
If so, you should be able to tell that "I am now using 'this other' PC".
I'm in the same situation as you.

Originally had 7 retail; moved to Win 10; do not yet have 11.

You should NOT have any issues moving to 11.

A retail license allows you to move to a new system any time you want....as long as it is just one system at a time.

Go to a command prompt.

Run it as administartor.

Enter this command:

slmgr /dli

What do you see?

USAFRet

Titan
In 2012 I bought a retail copy of Windows 7 Home edition and installed it into the system I built. Since 2012 I took advantage of a free upgrade to Windows 10. I am now looking at finally upgrading my computer system and building a new system. Is there any legal way to get Windows 10 or 11 installed on my new system using what I bought in 2012? I do not intend to continue using my old system once I build a new one.
You have WIn 10 on the upgraded system?

If so...
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
@Lafong so I ran that and I see a box that pops up and has system name, description (Windows(R) Operating System, retail channel), a partial product key, and License status: Licensed.

@USAFRet I have Windows 10 on my current computer. I am looking to build a new one and want to have Windows 10 or 11 installed on that one so is what you said applicable? My main point is I bought it originally as a Windows 7 and I have been hearing conflicting info if I can or not.

That's what you want to see. Exactly like mine.

I would not expect any issues.

Your critical Product Key is already stored on Microsoft activation servers.

Are you activated? You should be.

There is a slight chance you may have to run the Activation Troubleshooter and an even remoter chance you will have to talk to Microsoft on the phone, but you look entirely OK to me.

"Retail" is the key point.

It shouldn't.

3V66T is the last 5 characters in a generic installer key that millions of people have. I was hoping it was yours so I could convince you I have mysterious powers. But I had no luck at that.

Run at prompt:

slmgr /xpr

You should see "permanently activated".