Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade license

Jul 12, 2018
We all know that using the Windows 7 license key you can get a free upgrade to Windows 10. After many years of Windows 7 and a Windows 10 laptop I'm finally making the upgrade on my desktop. My question is however, could I use the key to upgrade but keep a copy of Windows 7 in dual boot under the same license? Neither will ever be used at the same time but I'm not sure of what I should be weary of outside of a broken EULA agreement.

I apologize if this question has already been asked.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
No. Here's your official answer found by a simple google search for your general question.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/using-original-windows-7-key-to-dual-boot-with-win/82b855f5-6a41-4100-8ce3-7e676ed7c605

The question in this link above is in regards to using a VM but the answer is the same regardless.

However, Windows 10 doesn't need to be activated to be used like older versions of Windows. You can use Windows 10 completely without anything being held back from you. All you'll get is a watermark in the bottom corner telling you it's not activated. And unlike older versions of Windows, it won't lock you out after 30 days. You can use it forever completely free. Also, without activation you can set a desktop wallpaper, do slide show, and change color scheme from the display settings. Pretty much any feature you can get for wallpaper and color scheme settings is greyed out. However, you can just right click any image file you've downloaded that you want to use as a background and click on "set as desktop background" and it will apply it and do it's auto color scheme based on the colors in the wallpaper.

plateLunch

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Couldn't tell if being legal was important or not from your post. You've already got the legal answer: no, you aren't supposed to dual boot two different OS installations. On the question of if you can make it work? Yes. And there won't be any weird messages.

You will need software that can do an image backup of your Win7 installation. And a spare drive or two, either spinning or SSD. Do a clean installation of Win7 to your spare drive and activate it. Then image it and save the image someplace safe. Then do your upgrade of Win7 to Win10. Which drive you upgrade is up to you. Then whenever you want to go back to Win7, use the image to create a Win7 disk.

The free license upgrade to 10 ended a while ago.

USAFRet

Titan

You don't. One or the other.
Your Win 7 license is consumed in the Upgrade to Win 10.

The "free" upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 ran out long ago.
But it still works. I talked to a guy just a couple of days ago in here that did it. Activated an installed Win 10 with his old Win 7 license key.
Unexpectedly, the Win 10 is fully activated.

But you do not get to use both.