Windows 7 to Windows 10

AJScott755

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014
Hi all, hope someone can help.

I have some various PC hardware laying around that I wish to build a second computer in our household for my partner.

The specs are as follows:
Motherboard: Unknown Dell part number. (Was sold with prebuilt PC Dell XPS 810 over 5 years ago.)
CPU: i7-860 w/stock cooler
5GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GTX 660Ti
500Watt PSU

When purchased, the prebuilt PC came with 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda drives in a RAID configuration that expanded the data. Under My Computer there was one single "C" drive which the computer read as 2TB. Now, sadly I have misplaced one of these drives and understandably the PC will not boot with just the 1 I have. I have the option to format it under the RAID configuration that I can access by pressing CTRL + I on bootup.

So, I have a spare SSD that i'm not using, i'll use that 1TB drive as extra storage and I'll buy a Windows 10 licence. My question is now to do with drivers. If all the drivers are not installed automatically by Windows you can download them from the manufacturers website (link: http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/product-support/product/studio-xps-8100/drivers)

My question lies there, the only OS that is supported is Windows 7 and I would really like to put Windows 10 on the machine. Will this be an issue or is this kind of thing not really a problem?
Thanks

Solution
Hello... Sometimes... Win 10 has become dependent and insistent on "certified drivers" ...Take a look at your current Device Manager... for the lan, sound chip, and other devices. See if you can find the Brand/maker of these hardware/MB chips. Then you can search those support sites for updated win10 drivers. Sometimes DELL will use one time chip makers that don't offer driver support or updates.

Win10 and other versions have include generic drivers to work with some of these chips... Microsoft and DELL have a long history together... You can DL a "Try before Buy" Win10 OS and install it on a spare HD and the MB/system too... as a TEST... and see if Microsoft completes driver installs for it? B /

AJScott755

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014

I can't actually boot the PC as I'm missing one of the 2 drives. (I've had most of the components out for other builds in the past few years) So I can't get into the OS to check device manager. The PC can get into BIOS so I assume it's all good to go.

I was not aware there was a Windows 10 try before you buy. I have just done some googling and found this. Is this what you're referencing?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?tduid=(4442fc07ff2a6e9acfd3681a99339fb1)(259740)(2542549)(UUwpUdUnU33201)()

Hello... Yes... from Microsoft themselves... Any Microsoft product has a 'trial period" typically you must complete "activation" ( Key purchase ) within 30 days for a Microsoft OS product... Or delete the install if not satisfied... You could purchase Media/Key from Microsoft or another vender and keep that install.

USAFRet

Titan

It's not an official 'try before you buy'
Just that you can skip entering the license key, until your purchased one comes in the mail.
The Win 10 Media Creation tool gives you the download, and assists in creating an install USB if you desire.

Solution

AJScott755

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014

Thanks for your advice. I shall attempt this tomorrow and reply if it has worked, thank you for your information!

USAFRet

Titan

There is no official "30 days" with Win 10. From Day 1, it starts nagging you.
Previous versions did not do this for that 30 days.

Win 10 runs, but it nags.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

I posted it above earlier , you can also run it and it will let you know if there will be any issues.

Hello... Yes I'm sure it does (nag)... B D ...But in his case... he is used to Win7, has drivers that work for his MB, a spare drive, and curiosity about this NEW OS... "try before buy" is an old salesperson term, basically you have 30 days to "activate" the install... or it becomes useless/broken/featureless in some manner B )

I myself would not commit a companies plans and $$$$$'s or my future with them... using a compatibility/upgrade advisor APP only. B / I would take inventory, gather sample units and do installs and Pre-Tests before money was exchanged. This is how every company (I worked for) operates... and before any new products/operations are introduced into the system.

USAFRet

Titan

There are other limitations, specifically Personalization. Which starts from Day 1.
But I do not think it gets 'worse' at the 30 day mark, unlike previous versions.

I'm running an unactivated Win 10 install in a VM, specifically to test this concept. Currently, Day 21.
We'll see what happens...:)