Windows 7 Tried to Install Windows 10

newseed

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Hi,

I have what might be an unusual problem here and I will try to explain it the best I can.

I get a notice that W10 was ready for me to download and install. I have set my Windows Update to let it download but allow me to determine when I want to install it. So I proceeded to download W10 and after the download was done it started creating a restore point. I was oblivious as to why it would do that. So I waited.

After it created the restore point it started to install W10 and so I panic and stopped the install. I thought 'whew'. Without even thinking, I proceeded to download the W7 updates and naturally it would create a restore point. Everything seems to go fine asking me to restart my computer to finish the updates. Normally, I just walk away from my computer waiting for it to reboot. I come back 4 hours later and still showing the 'Shutting down' screen and my hard drive was not spinning or actively reading/writing.

Well, I had no choice but to turn it off and on. The boot up seems to work find once the Windows logo appeared but after about 15-20 seconds it gave me a blue screen of death. UGH!

The most I could figure was W10 trying to install earlier so I decided to do a restore that goes back a day before I started any updates but it would not restore and I know the restore point I have chosen is for certain a day prior to doing the last updates but I still get the blue screen.

My question is, is it possible that there are some registry entries left over related to W10 that might cause the blue screen?.

Naturally, I have a backup (secondary boot drive) for stuff like this but the original drive is not that old and I would like to get it to boot Windows normally.

sounds like you may need to put your window 7 disk in and do a start up repair or use it to access a restore point well ahead of the updating you did ??

if it screwed all that up and you done for you may just have to do a fresh reinstall - Microsoft made it easy to go to 10 but not so to get away from it [that's not what ''they'' want ]

newseed

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

Since both drives are duplicate, is it possible to just export the registry files and import them to the other drive?

cant say I don't do or recommend 'upgrades'' why would I overwrite a solid stable os like 7 for something like 10 and find it was a big mistake or something goes wrong and now I'm out 2 os's ?? I just get a drive and a retail hard copy of a os and install it stand a lone ???