[SOLVED] Windows 7 Ultimate slow after fresh install

jedirene

Prominent
Jun 25, 2020
I had my Acer Aspire ES14 for almost 6 years now. Celeron, 500GB HDD, 2GB RAM, Windows 10. For 3 years, I never used this again for browsing because it was very slow.

Last week, I have decided to install cleanly Ubuntu 20.04, but afer using it for a day, it was slower than expected.

Yesterday, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate and it was fast at first. After a few minutes of using it for browsing, it performed way slower than when Windows 10 was installed. The cursor was also moving weirdly.

I have visited threads and videos for this issue, but they didn't work.

What could be the problem?

Solution
If you are sure there is no issue with the hardware itself, in a broken kind of way, and assuming that the money to replace it isn't there, I would look into even a meager SSD and put Win 10 back on it. If you can, and if it can, I would look for a cheap bit of RAM to bump it to at LEAST 4GB, if you can...but the SSD will help with page file to some degree.
On top of the already weak processor and low RAM, that HDD is really hindering on it's own.

I still think that Ubuntu or other Linux flavor would run somewhat snappier but you already have the Win 10 license...

edit-side note-
I got in a small group of the Acer Aspire netbooks a while back, I cannot recall the exact spec but very much along the line of the Atom based super low...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would not expect that system to work well on a Windows OS. Ubuntu would offer the best possibility of performance IMO (or a similar low overhead OS). Straight away I would suggest that the HDD could be going? IDK if you can test it or check for errors?
Could be much more...temps, bad battery and or power supply...

jedirene

Prominent
Jun 25, 2020
I would not expect that system to work well on a Windows OS. Ubuntu would offer the best possibility of performance IMO (or a similar low overhead OS). Straight away I would suggest that the HDD could be going? IDK if you can test it or check for errors?
Could be much more...temps, bad battery and or power supply...

I will update you in an hour afer checking. But do you think I should just go back to Windows 10?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you are sure there is no issue with the hardware itself, in a broken kind of way, and assuming that the money to replace it isn't there, I would look into even a meager SSD and put Win 10 back on it. If you can, and if it can, I would look for a cheap bit of RAM to bump it to at LEAST 4GB, if you can...but the SSD will help with page file to some degree.
On top of the already weak processor and low RAM, that HDD is really hindering on it's own.

I still think that Ubuntu or other Linux flavor would run somewhat snappier but you already have the Win 10 license...

edit-side note-
I got in a small group of the Acer Aspire netbooks a while back, I cannot recall the exact spec but very much along the line of the Atom based super low power type models. Each one had only one RAM slot, went to a max of 4GB and were TOTALLY not worth even spending the money on a stick of RAM (sort of the same situation). I went in and put some inexpensive 128GB SSD and loaded them with Ubuntu and Mint. They ran exceptionally well for simple web surfing/office form type stuff and ALMOST acceptably to watch YT in a small window. Before doing so, and on the HDD they came with they were basically unusable. Admittedly this was some years ago. I cannot imagine any of that lineage of hardware has gotten better since then.

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 17, 2020
I had my Acer Aspire ES14 for almost 6 years now. Celeron, 500GB HDD, 2GB RAM, Windows 10. For 3 years, I never used this again for browsing because it was very slow.

Last week, I have decided to install cleanly Ubuntu 20.04, but afer using it for a day, it was slower than expected.

Yesterday, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate and it was fast at first. After a few minutes of using it for browsing, it performed way slower than when Windows 10 was installed. The cursor was also moving weirdly.

I have visited threads and videos for this issue, but they didn't work.

What could be the problem?

ok. You gotta change the RAM to ATLEAST 4 gigs, or better 8 gigs. Windows 10 will be horrible on 2 gigs. Even at 8 gigs win10 is kinda laggy on my desktop. How did you even live with 2 gigs this whole time?
I think if you swap your memory to 16 gigs your pc will be a blast. win 7 or win 10 would work perfect.

You probably need a new hdd, cuz hdds 6 yrs ago weren't as dope as they are now. You could try solid state thing is people have siad they fail in a few years due to the oxide layer in it running out.

I gotta seagate IronWolf hdd and its real good, especially for running vs 2019.