Windows 7 ultimate upgrade failed installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvendi7335

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Hello,
My Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade($220) from Windows
Vista Ultimate was 3/4 done judging from the progress bar. Received a command prompt stating that the upgrade failed due to corrupt installation files.
On reboot I get a disc read error ctrl alt delete.
I receive the same error everytime I ctrl alt delete. Is the disc corrupted by the upgrade?

Recommend that:
1) Select custom install.
2 Delete all partitions that were created (Click on advanced on page asking where to install)
3) Partition the drive if you want more than one partition on HDD.
Select where to install.
4) DO NOT insert key when prompted for it during the install.
5) complete install, let windows do it's updates, load drivers and programs.
5) must either do the "double" install, or as I prefer (steps quoted from PC mag)

"A true geek has never been intimidated by the registry, but lets face it, it's a mess in there. To access the registry you will first need to open up the start menu and type "regedit" into the search field, followed by enter. To find the proverbial needle in this haystack, you will need to navigate through the tabs listed on the left in the following order:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/ . If you don't like doing it the hard way just click Edit then Find and type MediaBootInstall into the search field, and press enter. Once found, double click MediaBootInstall and change the "1" to a "0". Once you have finished this, simply click Ok and close out the Registry Editor."
THEN
"Before we try to activate our copy of Windows, we need to reset or "Re-Arm" the activation sequence. To do this, simply open up the start menu and type cmd but instead of just pressing enter, you need to press "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "Enter" to run it as an administrator. You can also accomplish this by clicking the start menu, typing cmd into the search box, then right clicking the command prompt application and selecting Run as administrator.

Once the command prompt appears type slmgr /rearm and press enter. Next simply type Exit and hit enter again, after which it will ask you to restart your machine."

Back to me.
Then activate and at this time enter your Key.
This has worked for me on countless times and I prefer to the "double Install" espeacially if an SSD is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.