Windows 7 Ultimate x64 install problem

Jan 17, 2014
Got a new motherboard and have a formatted HD. Trying to install Win 7 Ultimate x64. The computer freezes up at the 0% expanding files part of the setup. Sometimes before that.

I do get a "CPU fan error" message during bootup but the fan is still going. From what I can tell in the BIOS screen, the fan is not turning at full speed (closer to half). Not sure if I'm reading that right as its a whole new BIOS setup for me.

Have tried 2 different win 7 install discs and even tried my old vista and XP install discs. All have had similar issues.

Also tried resetting RAM, using 1 or both sticks, using different slots...

Would the CPU fan be the issue or is there another option? Just wanna have a better idea before I stop for that fan on the way home from work today. Rather get everything with one trip instead of two.

Thanks ahead of time.

Solution
i'd like confirmation that you have used 2 unique installation discs and not 2 discs burned from the same iso image.

if so, you've ruled out bad install media, bios, and if you've tried to use an entirely different hard drive that was FULLY formatted, it is safe to rule that out too. full means it takes you at least 15 minutes to perform the format.

rule out bad dvd drive:
you did not mention whether you're still using the dvd drive or a usb drive. that is something to rule out as if you rma the motherboard/cpu and it still doesn't work with your shiny new cpu/mb, you'll just have wasted a lot of time.

ram config:
it is also worth ensuring that the ram is configured properly in bios. There will be numbers on the ram like 8-8-8-24 or...

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
what hardware are you using?

did you connect the 4-pin cpu far power to the cpu fan socket on the motherboard?

try also disabling 'cool and quiet' for amd or similar smart fan control interface for intel.

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
It is absolutely essential that your cpu fan is connected here and not anywhere else.

I would enable performance mode, although not if the fan isn't working properly.

If the problem still persists, I would try updating the bios and if that fails, rma it.

Jan 17, 2014
Jbseven
Moving from the left pin to the center pin got rid of the CPU fan error message

But it is still freezing up at the same point of the installation.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
I think the bio is up to date. Not sure how to update but the asus cuts service says it is

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Rule out cpu overheating:
With the cpu fan out of the way, do try to verify the cpu temps are not too high in the bios hardware monitor.

Rule out bad hard drive:
Try to perform a full format of the hard drive with 'quick format' unchecked. It is possible to do this within the windows installation itself. To bring up the command prompt hit shift+F10 within the installation gui. You will then need to use disk part according to the partitions on the drive. See here for usage information:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Rule out bad dvd drive:
I assume you're using a dvd drive for the installation. Try copying the files from the root of the dvd to the root of a usb drive and running the installation from it instead. This works for most windows 7 installation discs, however if it doesn't, you'll need to use the windows 7 usb/dvd download tool found here:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Rule out bios bugs:
Try updating the bios if it still does not work.

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
i'd like confirmation that you have used 2 unique installation discs and not 2 discs burned from the same iso image.

if so, you've ruled out bad install media, bios, and if you've tried to use an entirely different hard drive that was FULLY formatted, it is safe to rule that out too. full means it takes you at least 15 minutes to perform the format.

rule out bad dvd drive:
you did not mention whether you're still using the dvd drive or a usb drive. that is something to rule out as if you rma the motherboard/cpu and it still doesn't work with your shiny new cpu/mb, you'll just have wasted a lot of time.

ram config:
it is also worth ensuring that the ram is configured properly in bios. There will be numbers on the ram like 8-8-8-24 or 9-9-9-21. Enter the correct numbers manually in the bios and set the command rate to 2t. Also ensure that it is at 1333Mhz.

With all of the above ruled out, the only thing left is the cpu and motherboard.

For this, you need to check the cpu temps in bios and if they are not too high (anything >65-70C) then you know its the mb.

If cpu temps are high:
reseat the heatsink correctly. You will want to get decent thermal paste if you don't already have it and apply it carefully. Do read up on doing this as a lot could go wrong if you get paste on the pins. you want a thin, even layer. i recommend arctic mx-2 or mx-4 as it is non-conductive. if the temps are still high, replace the cpu.

if the cpu temps are fine- the only thing it could be is the motherboard. double check all of the connections to the mb with particular attention to the 8-pin 12v connector.

As you have now exhausted everything that could be the problem, send the mb back for a replacement.

Solution