[SOLVED] Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Memory Usage - 32GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

VarniumGmail

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
I'm surprised recently by the fact that my OS complain about "lack of memory". So basically, I open and run many applications. I have installed 32GB RAM (Corsair) and my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 recognize only 31.7GB. To me that's fine, because I understand the reason of not having the full 32GB.

However, what I don't understand is that Windows suddenly give alert to me that I'm low on memory, when I've only utilized 50% of it or just 15.9GB of RAM. I have 2x NVidia GTX 1070 8GB with SLI enabled, so I'm pretty sure that my RAM is not being used for graphics ability. The worst part is that, my applications really malfunction when I'm only using near 16GB of memory. When I closed some of the applications and reduce memory usage to below 15GB, then everything work perfectly again.

So does anyone understand what is really happening here? Could you help me?

VarniumGmail

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
Very sorry if I asked this question. I found the answer in another forum. Root cause is because I disabled Windows page files. I thought that with 32GB of RAM, I no longer need page files. It turns out Windows keep on insisting that it is necessary, regardless of how much RAM we have. So after I let Windows manage my page files, followed by restart, the problem is now fixed. Anyway, hope this case can be a lesson to anybody out there who has similar issues about Windows page files (virtual memory).

Status
Not open for further replies.