Windows 7 update fails to install, need help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebastien

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Hello,
I am having difficulties with updating Windows 7 on my laptop MSI FX603. Windows 7 came loaded with the laptop, though I do not know if I have windows 7 basic, premium, pro or else.

I went on vacations in July, came back in August and I had a bunch of updates. I updated everything at once but I have 8 update files that fail to install from which only 1 error fail to update occur in the update history; therefore I assume this particular error prevents other updates to install correctly.

Update for Windows 7 for x64 based systems (KB2732500)
installation date: 8/29/2012
You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
Installation status: Failed
Error details: code 80071A90
Update type: Recommended

The knowledge base has several links, I tried all of them. 1 of these knowledge base is about downloading a windows 7 little program called "fixit" but after several attempts, I concluded Fixit cannot solve my issue or is not the proper way to solve my issue.
The whole updating package files is roughly around 39 megs and I wonder if Windows 7 actually download the packages every time I click on Update or if Windows stores the updates ready to be installed somewhere on my HDD in which case I would need to re-download the update but I do not know how?!?!

Thanks in advance for your help,
Seb

Solution
Solution

sebastien

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010

Thanks a bunch,
It worked like a charm. I did not know we could download each update manually and as far as I know windows 7 help fails to lead the user in that direction.

Thanks a bunch Pjmelect

kingpin1

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

I had this problem for about 3 months, down loading from this link and installing solved the problem for me,

Thank you Pjmelect

jcclark

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
IN FEB 2013 (AND MAYBE JAN 2013) I NOTICED THAT MY LAPTOP WITH WINDOWS 7 KEPT REQUIRING ME TO UPDATE WINDOWS, BUT THE WINDOWS UPDATE FAILED TO INSTALL. INSTEAD OF INSTALLING ALL 16 CRITICAL UPDATES, I INSTALLED THEM 2 OR 3 AT A TIME. THIS WORKED!!! I TRIED ONE TIME TO INSTALL MORE OF THE SMALL ONES, BUT IT DID NOT SEEM TO WORK, BUT THEN I INSTALLED THE BIGGER ONES A COUPLE AT A TIME AND THEY WERE ALL INSTALLED WITH NO PROBLEMS. IT TOOK SOME TIME, BUT IN THE LONG HAUL, IT WAS WORTH IT (NO MORE REQUIRED UPDATES EVERYDAY).

smihi

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I know that this won't help you at the moment but for the next time maybe you want to consider using a tool like wuinstall. first of all it makes it very easy to manage your updates and it also allows you to decide if you only want to download an update or also install it, or if you just want to install one that has already been downloaded.

shoyer

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

I have tried to install the update in safe mode and even disabled my antivirus but came up with the error 0x8007043c

Status
Not open for further replies.