Windows 7 Update Roll-up: 1 Update to rule them all

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Microsoft has released a large roll-up of updates that includes every one since SP1 was released in 2011!! It is updated up to April 2016.

There have been a lot of issues lately with Win 7 updates not working for many many users. This should be a good way to get the updates you've been missing. It does not include IE and .Net updates or many "optional" Win 7updates (about 15 or so if i recall right)

TechNet Blog post regarding the download.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

MS Knowledge Base Article with more info.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

NOTE: you need this update installed before you can use this roll-up. A fresh install from older media won't have this included.

I have used this a number of times now and it does not include the GWX nags in it but it does include the new telemetry updates. Run windows update after this patch and it will include the GWX in the available updates. You can simply install everything and the use GWX Control Panel to turn off/disable the win 10 nagging stuff if you don't want to identify and then hide the offending updates. Then i still use SpyBot's Anti-Beacon to turn of the telemetry that is installed.

Edit: here is a direct download for the updates so you won't need to use IE

32-Bit Update

64-Bit Update

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
installed it and after a few reboots everything works fine. checked GWX Control Panel before and after the install and it did not appear to change any of those settings on me. but would be worth the second check after install in case something changes on you.

hope this helps someone messing with the stupid slow/not working win 7 updater

I got 21 updates on one Windows 7 PC, 20 on another, 34 on another. I went to the links you posted, but all I saw was updates to IE. Was there a single package with all the updates? I've got to update 23 Win 7 desktops next week and could use such a package if it exists.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yes the link to the roll-up is here http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=3125574

but it can only be used in IE (i know but what can you do). any other browser gives you that update IE screen. i tried getting it other ways but could only get a download link through IE and it's stupid download manager thing for the catalog.

the report did say it would not be available through normal windows update. you have to get it this way or not at all (eventually someone will post the file elsewhere but so far i don't see it anywhere yet). the file is 323 MB in size so you'll know when you see it.

Thanks, Math Geek, I've got it now. Interestingly it's slower than just using Windows Update. I started it 35 min. ago on a Windows 7 PC that was updated 5/7, and it's still "Searching for updates on this computer..."

I'm a bit of a math geek myself, having gotten a MA in math a long time ago. It's been so long since I've used it though, I wouldn't know what to do with most of it if it bit me in the butt! I remember using Simpson's rule to do digital integration, but I'd sure have to study up on it if I had to use it today.

Update: When you get to the site with IE, you see 3 things listed there. The top one is for THIRTY-TWO bit Windows 7. That's the 316 MB one. BUT, if you want it for the 64 bit version, you want the one listed on the bottom. It's over 400 MB. Tricky folks those people at MS. :)

''Each month, we will release a single update containing all of the non-security fixes for that month. We are making this change -- shifting to rollup updates, to improve the reliability and quality of our updates''

so now you take them all as one and cant pick and choose the ones you don't want or need and with that they slip in all the GWX files that you decline and hide updates with them in the package [GWX = Get Windows 10 ]

so now they figured all us that decline all GWX updates will now take them or just dont update anymore cause there all rolled up in to one no more decline and hide ''bad / botched '' updates with out declining all the rest you may need

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3071737/microsoft-windows/microsoft-overhauls-windows-7-and-81-updating-but-dont-call-it-a-service-pack.html

also in another article on this is how if it was bad and you remove / uninstall the update it removes all in that ''package'' as well not just the issue update .

well see how that plays out , sounds like another way to slide GWX on to your win-7 rig

Microsoft figures if you get annoyed enough you will see it there way and go 10

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
had a very catastrophic failure this evening and find myself installing win 7 fresh this evening. did not plan it but this roll-up is gonna be nice since my retail disk is just at SP1 and no further. this should save me a ton of time installing however many hundreds of updates it needs. once it is done, i'll run the GWX control panel to see what all it installed since this is a purely fresh win SP1 install now :)

first step by MS was to make sure the windows update was FUBAR for a while so we'd be all kinds of happy with the roll-ups. step 2 as you already noted is to then provide roll-ups with no options to pick and chose. i'll play around some and see if I can extract the package or fins where it extracts itself when it installs. that would be nice to have

''had a very catastrophic failure this evening and find myself installing win 7 fresh this evening''

LOL..... ya, your failing to use 10 and pay that price decline and hide i'll pass on that ''roll over' [ opps I mean roll up ]

funny thing is I yet to get any of them roll over up dates -- and funny is that I never accepted any windows updates that had anything top do with 10 and funny thing is I don't seem to have these issues like updating , go figure

just a point to ponder notice how none of this occurred until after 10 came out now things with 7 are becoming a issue /inconvenience ??

after you do your new install you better hand select each update for any thing that has to do with upgrade to 10 [GWX] and thing will work as normal ... LOL...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm good there as i wrote a script to rid myself of those updates a long time ago. but have to wait for the updates to install first then see how they like being deleted.

and i have no clue what happened but somehow i managed to delete 3 partitions on a single drive!! so there went win 7, win 10 and a data partition. anything important is on a different drive but i did manage to lose both os's and all the personal configurations i had done on both. i did not know it was even possible to delete all partitions in one shot through the command line. trying to figure out what i did so i don't do it again EVER!!! been doing this a long time and never seen it before....

Ambular

Respectable
Mar 25, 2016
Went to check this out and found that for whatever reason the Microsoft Update Catalog won't load properly for me in Internet Explorer 11...spent some time futzing around trying to fix it or find a workaround, then realized that obtaining the 'convenience rollup' is more inconvenient than just installing the darn updates.

''o. but have to wait for the updates to install first then see how they like being deleted.''

I don't understand that ?? why not review them first then decide to download and install ?? your doing a lot of unnecessary work / risk in my opinion

weed them out prior to downloading and installing them and install only the ones you want ??

''Microsoft Update Catalog won't load properly for me in Internet Explorer 11...'' Microsoft has it broken cause its not 10 and don't forget to have the active x crap going to use it as well

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
right now i am testing the update pack as well. be nice to know whether it is worth it or not.

considering i ran win update to see how many updates there were for me and after an hour it had not loaded them yet. i'm gonna give the roll-up a shot. so far it took about 10 minutes to decide what updates it needed to install and then started working. almost done now.

@ambular the catalog has always been a pain in the arse to use. seems like another way to force you to use IE when you really don't want to.

well that's the thing I'm saying is update Tuesday I did not receive any of these updates and today I got 3 but nothing like this your working with

I just checked for updates to see if I ggot them now and -0- but you see I never let anything to have with 10 in my 7 , and I'm not having any update issues ..

goes back to what I was saying about that 10 crap see I have none of it in and so far today my 7 works as normal updating and all..

so why am I not receiving those ''roll up'' updates ?? why ? cause I screen each and every update before I download and install any of them and i'll bet its all o do with that screwing you into 10 or getting its foot in your door

my decline and hide list is i'll bet well over 100 updates long

Ambular

Respectable
Mar 25, 2016

But I am using IE. XD

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
well ya that would suck if IE is not working with it since you have no other options. i have the files but got nowhere to host them so can't really be any help right now.

have you tried reinstalling IE just in case. is generally the first idea thrown out there :)

For me I can get there ONLY with IE11 under Windows 7. If I try it with IE11 under 10, it doesn't work. Good old Microsoft. They come up with something good, then turn it over to dum dums to make it public. :(

like I said it need all the active x so you may need to insure you don't have any of the settings in manage add on's turned off/ disabled ??

but the thing with this is

''convenience rollup" for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (and Windows Server 2008 R2), which in a single package contains all the updates, both security and non-security, released since the Service Pack, up through April 2016. Installing the rollup will perform five years of patching in one shot.

with that as I was saying you cant screen any of the botched / unnecessary / GWX / and all you just take a lump sum .. so woith that you may accept and install updates that could bsod you computer ..

to me I cant see it as safe cause if there is a issue you have nothing to pin point to and loke said from the article above if you try to uninstall it you uninstall it all and back to square one anyway ??

to me best to let them come in one at a time even if it takes a few days and install as wanted and needed and research each one from the support page or a site that's reviewed the updates and made a report on them good or bad..

lets face it there were a few that did harm then good and with that roll up deal you don't know if they been removed or not or is any may affect your rig ..

say you get this update KB3114717 look in to it before you download and install and may see things l;ike this

http://news.softpedia.com/news/another-botched-windows-update-kb3114717-breaks-down-word-2013-500429.shtml

or
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/list-of-windows-7-telemetry-updates-to-avoid.379151/

so with the roll up you just as well blindly download and install as part of its package and ''bam'' you now got issues and cant just uninstall that one update to resolve

to me its another ploy by Microsoft to make 7 miserable and ''force'' you to 10 , that's all there is to it

any way good luck i'll leave ya'll to it

P.S

''Edit: Once it is installed, you can use GWX Control Panel to turn of the win 10 nagging stuff ''

silly why just screen the updates first and never install them to start with ?? come on. nip it in the bud at the get go and problems solved not all that mumbo jumbo your doing

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
"There have been a lot of issues lately with Win 7 updates not working for many many users. This should be a good way to get the updates you've been missing.

the part your missing still is that if the manual update for windows 7 is not working then you can't pick and chose. you get nothing at all. the roll-up is the only option for those who can;t get windows update working at all. myself included on a number of machines.

so "why just screen the updates first and never install them to start with" won't work in this case and the roll-up is the only option. but hey don't use it if you don't want to. no one is forcing it on you, but no reason others can't use it for themselves.

You know, I've been installing ALL the Windows updates within days of their coming out since 1998 and never ever had the first update to cause me a problem. I did install the GWX Control Panel shortly after MS started its nagging for Windows 10 upgrades, but in spite of that, I always install all the updates on my 5 PCs at home and 28 I support. I'd say worrying about a "bad update" is just slightly less crazy than worrying about getting hit by a meteor. :)
BTW Math Geek, that sure is a handsome devil you have for your avatar. :D

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not sure what the deal is with the ie page. but that is why i linked directly to the files so you could get them with any browser. last piece of the first post is direct links to the files. grab them with any browser and don't worry about the faulty MS page :)

"NOTE: you need this update installed before you can use this roll-up. A fresh install from older media won't have this included."...

if this is what u r talking about, it says this file is already updated on my system...

King_of_Circleville

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006

These direct downloads are incredibly slow for me...only 477 MB and it's estimating 13 hours!? WTF. Any other download of that same size would be like 10 minutes at most. Anyone else having that issue?