Windows 7 Updates slower than ever?

PNP Andy

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I own a computer repair shop and we do a LOT of windows updates. I've noticed that they are taking a lot longer than they used to by a large margin. Anybody else noticing this?

The last 4 times I have installed Windows 7, Windows Update never finds any updates. It just runs "Checking for Updates" forever, I left it going on one machine for 3 days and never got any other screen. I am assuming it's a way to try to force people to install Windows 10 as that updates extremely fast.

Oh, and I called Microsoft and they just old me that it was normal and to wait longer as there are so many updates...

PNP Andy

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015

I've been wondering if it has anything to do with them allocating less resources to windows 7. Windows update has never been particularly quick but this is absurd.

Exactly, the Windows 7 server is probably only getting a fraction of the bandwidth that it once had. Plus, the refusal to release a "roll-up service pack" when there are literally over 300 updates since SP1, tells me that there is an intended level of frustration there, designed to push people onto Windows 10. I don't know if this is happening to Windows 8, but I'm sure it eventually will as July 29th gets closer.

I even tried downloading some of the bigger updates like IE11 and such to see if that would lower the number of updates needed. Still, "checking for updates"...forever.

Windows 10 is newer, but the lack of Windows 7 update functionality is unacceptable. I recently had a client that was forced to go with Windows 10 on their file server because 7 wouldn't update and the programs needing to go on it wouldn't install or run without the updates. Plus, there was a time crunch as I had to get it back up and running ASAP...tax season was ending in 4 days and their server went down...ouch.

well like I said the Microsoft security thing updated just fine through it its just through normal windows updating that's not going well for me

I'm going to retry it in a few to see if it now will go ..

down loaded and now installing 12 updates so looks like it up and working now for me

I declined the one for something like time zone for Pakistan or god knows where that mess was ? like I need that - decline and hide

installing 5 of 12 so looks like a go...

succeeded -restart your computer now

don't see how its any good news

''The downloaded package -- identified as KB 3125574, at 477MB for 64-bit systems -- doesn't yet have an associated Knowledge Base article''

why is that ??

''Each month, we will release a single update containing all of the non-security fixes for that month. We are making this change -- shifting to rollup updates, to improve the reliability and quality of our updates''

so now you take them all as one and cant pick and choose the ones you don't want or need and with that they slip in all the GWX files that you decline and hide updates with them in the package [GWX = Get Windows 10 ]

so now they figured all us that decline all GWX updates will now take them or just dont update anymore cause there all rolled up in to one no more decline and hide ''bad / botched '' updates with out declining all the rest you may need

also in another article on this is how if it was bad and you remove / uninstall the update it removes all in that ''package'' as well not just the issue update .

nut if you think its good news then that's ok as well

Microsoft figures if you get annoyed enough you will see it there way and go 10

You have to be careful when you go to that site too. I downloaded the 1st thing in the list, the 316 MB one, and started it on a Windows 7 laptop. It ran 37 min. and then said it wasn't compatible. Turns out the 316 MB one is for 32 bit systems, so you have to select the 3rd one in the list (the one over 400 MB) for 64 bit systems. AND if you don't use IE11, you don't get to the place to download the updates. Good old MS! :(

PNP Andy

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Just though I'd revive this thread to say I'm once again staring at a laptop that I've wasted hours on only to have to reinstall from scratch due to windows 7 updates. Windows updates continue to plague my life.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Solution