Windows 7 updates..

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
I have my settings at Let me know when updates are ready but let me install them myself. or something like that. It caused me an issue recently where I was about 3 months behind on updates but couldn't get them because it was stuck in a checking for updates loop. I had to manually turn off get updates, manually DL to security packs (starts with KB-) and then restart my comp and let it get the updates...

I was always told by a friend to NEVER download the Malicious Software Removal Tool - it has a month beside it every month. Now it's January 2017.. was it right? He said MS tracks stuff if you have this and it;s not good if you download anything like TV shows/music....

What updates should I always avoid?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
all updates are necessary, selective updates are only viable when you know that a specific update can cause problems because it has been reported by other users

about ms tracking stuff, if they track stuff, don't have anything to hide helps alot

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
I never knew why my friend said to avoid the Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT), but now I might see why:

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/10/20/disable-microsoft-windows-malicious-software-removal-tool-heartbeat-telemetry/

More specifically from the comments at the bottom:

"Oh well, Dave, then I'll never run MRT again. If it had to find and delete files it considers as malicious even should they be not then this is a veto for me. What has been deleted is not always recoverable but the user must have the authority to trigger the destruction button : MRT should report and allow always the user to choose to delete or not, be it MRT as any other application. "False-positive" is a reality.

To resume:
- MRT sends back telemetry data;
- MRT deletes "malicious" files it may have found without the prior consent of the user.
That's 2 bad points, another two for Microsoft, indisputable winner of all times telemetry & tracking features.
And if I slap the company it's of course for the same reasons it slaps its users : for their good. Reciprocity is the basis of politeness.

Thanks for this valuable information, Dave."

Yeah I don't want that. I already use Avast.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
well, telemetry, what does makes you think that microsoft can't do that same in any other way? same for the antivirus you use, i don't trust on any app, too much tv series and too much linux usage gives me this opinion

about the optional driver, sometimes there is signed drivers recommended for that os with new hardware that has been released

usually when gaming, you never bother with those drivers, a outdated driver for your gpu will make the card work slower than possible, with rrrors in some games, especially with nvidia this happens alot

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
I just make sure I always have the most recent NVIDIA drivers by checking through GeForce Experience... I wish there was a way I could just delete the update from appearing in Optional updates... same with the Malicious Software Removal Tool update that comes out each month.