Windows 7 Upgrade media to install on Windows 7 OEM machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Let me explain.. I have a laptop running licensed Windows 7 Pro 64bit (sticker on the bottom for same version with key etc.).
I would like to reinstall the OS but have only Windows 7 Pro 64bit upgrade media from another PC. Can I just use that Upgrade Win7Pro64 DVD to reinstall OS on laptop (using that key from laptop..)?
AFAIK it doesn't matter what Windows 7 DVD to use (except Home editions), OS will determine what it is meant for by S/N, right? :sarcastic:

Solution
You should be fine - only cavet is must use same version ie win 7 64 bit pro. Using a disk that is same version but is the upgrade (verse oem and full) is no problem.

You need to select "custom" for the install and do a clean install DO NOT INSERT KEY at this time.
Once the clean install is completed, you can let windows do it's update thing and load the needed drivers.
Everthing looks good, then just need two steps:
Edit the registry to change MediaBootInstall from a 1 to a 0.
Then run a cmd prompt (w/admin privliage) and do a rearm
Then Activate and insert the LAPTOP key.
Wiil post link

Yes, Ive Have used this method on my new SB notebook. Used a upgrade windows disk to install windows (instead of the supplied disk) and used the...

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
That is not true. Have installed OSes before from different DVDs onto different OEMs. As long as key was present and Windows versions matched there was no issues.
But.. How about upgrade DVDs? Are they just conventional Windows DVDs or not?

You should be fine - only cavet is must use same version ie win 7 64 bit pro. Using a disk that is same version but is the upgrade (verse oem and full) is no problem.

You need to select "custom" for the install and do a clean install DO NOT INSERT KEY at this time.
Once the clean install is completed, you can let windows do it's update thing and load the needed drivers.
Everthing looks good, then just need two steps:
Edit the registry to change MediaBootInstall from a 1 to a 0.
Then run a cmd prompt (w/admin privliage) and do a rearm
Then Activate and insert the LAPTOP key.
Wiil post link

Yes, Ive Have used this method on my new SB notebook. Used a upgrade windows disk to install windows (instead of the supplied disk) and used the laptop key, NOT the key on disk.

Here is the Link, Go to method2 - Use search function to find MediaBootInstall, simpler than keep scrolling down that LONG #@#$ list.

Solution

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

Can I just ask? If I remove that ei.cfg file from Windows DVD and burn it on another one, would that not make it clue-less of what version it is I am installing? I will try both methods and see which works easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.