Question Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10

Nov 21, 2021
My employer will soon mandate that I use Win10 PC for remote work. I have a Win7 laptop with 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM, based on some of the posts here this should be enough for most tasks.

Questions:
  1. How should I get started with the upgrade? I have seen blog posts and links online but I don't trust them enough.
  2. I have a licensed copy of Win7, can I use that to upgrade to Win 10 or will I need to buy a new license?
  3. I have created backup of all the files and data. Only issue is I have Office 2007, for which I don't have the key anymore (bought 12 years ago). How can I make sure I will be able to use it on Win10.
  4. Anything else I need to check before getting started.

Thanks for helping.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
My employer will soon mandate that I use Win10 PC for remote work. I have a Win7 laptop with 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM, based on some of the posts here this should be enough for most tasks.

Questions:
  1. How should I get started with the upgrade? I have seen blog posts and links online but I don't trust them enough.
  2. I have a licensed copy of Win7, can I use that to upgrade to Win 10 or will I need to buy a new license?
  3. I have created backup of all the files and data. Only issue is I have Office 2007, for which I don't have the key anymore (bought 12 years ago). How can I make sure I will be able to use it on Win10.
  4. Anything else I need to check before getting started.
Thanks for helping.
The bare minimum ram for Windows 10 is 2GB, but even 4GB will be limiting with some software. If you have the ability to add more, it would be great to have at least 8GB.

Reactions: Balit
Nov 21, 2021
Just wanted to update that win10 upgrade went very smooth, start to finish in 65 minutes! I'm typing this from win10 now!

For office, I selected keep file and apps and I can use MS Office on win10.
Thank you USAFRet.

Cj-Tech, thanks for the suggestion. I had tried 8GB earlier and it once gave me BSOD. Didn't happen again after that for about 3 weeks but I was too scared, so took them back out. Might try again with win10 now. Thanks.