Windows 7 USB copy

FoxxyPants

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
So, I have a copy of Win. 7 on a USB and used the same copy for 2 builds. Second one was kind of rocky but it's perfect now. And I was curious if I can/should still use this copy on my new build, or if I should wait and buy Win. 10. And if I do use it, will it affect the past 2 builds in anyway?

Solution
Oh, I know it's true.

It can be reset (which your friend likely did), but it'll come back.

Ultimately, if it's not genuine, MS have no obligation to protect you from.......well, anything really.

We won't be able to help you get around anything like this. You're in violation of the EULA by using a copy of Windows 7 on more than one machine at the same time (unless it happens to be an older 'family pack' that is no longer sold).

Buy a Windows license for your new build. Simple as that.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You need a license key. The USB (or disk etc) can be used to install Windows limitless times, but the activation aspect is where issues arise.

A license key is good for one system only. If it's OEM, it can't be removed from one and installed on another.
If it's a retail key, you can move it - but only have one system active at any one time.

There have been known cases of a license key activating more than 1 setup (sounds like you have had that 'luck') but it violates the EULA and your copy of Windows is likely to turn 'not genuine' on at least one.

Typical scenarios (when not activated) are losing your wallpaper - it'll turn black, with a watermark in the bottom (right?) that states something to the effect of "Windows is not genuine, activate now".

As for updates on non-genuine Windows, I'm not sure. You're entitled to updates for a 30 day 'trial' period I think, but beyond that, MS have no obligation to provide you with any form of updates - critical or otherwise.

Do your installations of Windows show as 'activated' in 'System'?

FoxxyPants

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016

That part about the wallpaper being black and the "copy of windows is not genuine" is true, but my friend didn't really care. Oddly enough, a day later they texted me saying it was gone, and they got the wallpaper back. Didn't really mention updates, though.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Oh, I know it's true.

It can be reset (which your friend likely did), but it'll come back.

Ultimately, if it's not genuine, MS have no obligation to protect you from.......well, anything really.

We won't be able to help you get around anything like this. You're in violation of the EULA by using a copy of Windows 7 on more than one machine at the same time (unless it happens to be an older 'family pack' that is no longer sold).

Buy a Windows license for your new build. Simple as that.

Solution