Windows 7 vs 8 license question

aolish

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
Hi all, I have a question about Windows 8s OEM license. I just need some clarifications about how many times we're allowed to use or install Win8 vs win7. I think I read somewhere where your allowed to install Windows 8 on as many machines as you want as long as you are running it on ONLY one machine at a time. Another words, you are not allowed to use Win8 on a previous machine but you are allowed to take that same copy (or key) and use it on another machine whereas on Windows 7 you are only entitled to one installation. Once you use that installation that key can no longer be used for another machine despite not using it on a previous machine. That your required to buy another Win7 oem. Any clarification on this is much appreciated.

EDIT: Oh and can Win8s license be also applied to Win10? Thanks.

Solution
OEM - the original 1 machine (motherboard), repeating multiple times.

Win 8 OEM - I believe Win 8 OEM can be installed on different machines, again, only one at a time. You can't have it installed on multiple machines at the same time.
Install here, you must remove from there.

Win 8.1 OEM - The licensing brings it back in line with Win 7. Only on that original motherboard. Reinstall if you need to, on that original hardware.

Win 10 OEM is the same. Only that original hardware.

Read the specific license rules here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

USAFRet

Titan
OEM - the original 1 machine (motherboard), repeating multiple times.

Win 8 OEM - I believe Win 8 OEM can be installed on different machines, again, only one at a time. You can't have it installed on multiple machines at the same time.
Install here, you must remove from there.

Win 8.1 OEM - The licensing brings it back in line with Win 7. Only on that original motherboard. Reinstall if you need to, on that original hardware.

Win 10 OEM is the same. Only that original hardware.

Read the specific license rules here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

Solution

Samat

Distinguished
OEM license is always tied to the machine it came with, doesn't matter if it is Windows 7, 8(.1) or 10. You can reinstall it as many times as you need (to the machine it came with). Retail license can be moved to another computer, taken that you remove it from the previous computer (all Windows versions).

You can install Windows 10 (with the latest build) directly with your Windows 7/8(.1) key.