Windows 7 vs Skylake

MustacheBerry

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Hi guys, I'm about to build a new pc and I'm wondering wich OS to choose, the new rig will have either i7 6700 or i76700K and one of the Z170 mobo's. I would like to stay with 7 and just buy the Professional edition so that I can utilize all the ram, but I am wondering if it will work at all as MS is trying to push 10 and I read a lot about 7s and 8s incompatibility with the new chipset line.

Is it true, can it work and what problems would I encounter?

Solution
Here's the User EULA

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

4. Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software as a consumer in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

a. Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if...

Ambular

Respectable
Mar 25, 2016
Two main issues:

1. To install the OS from a flash drive, you'd need a slipstreamed image of Windows 7 which includes some missing drivers. This can be found, along with detailed instructions, if you search the forums here. Depending on your exact system configuration and which download you obtain, you could run into additional unforeseen complications. Some people manage it quite easily, and others have all sorts of issues.

Alternatively, if you want to install from DVD, you'd need to have a motherboard with a PS/2 connector (ideally two, for keyboard and mouse,) a keyboard (and mouse if possible) with the correct plug for that, and an optical drive installed.

2. Microsoft will be discontinuing support for Windows 7 in early 2018 on Skylake machines. I've now heard half a dozen versions of exactly what that means, ranging from "no Windows updates at all after 2018" to "security-related updates will continue until 2020, unless it's for an issue that's specific to Skylake (which is fairly rare.)" But I've yet to see a very detailed explanation issued by Microsoft itself.

MustacheBerry

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Ok, I'm wondering how does the free win 10 update work, if I update my current Windows 7 do I get some sort of cd-key or other iidentification number that would allow me to instal it on the new rig.

What I would like to try is to update this Windows 7, and then using the number I would get instal the new 10 on the newly bought pc.

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
You get a new key based on your Windows 7 key. You can not use the same Win 7 key to upgrade more than once unless its a retail version that allows you too.
That Windows 10 key is tied to the hardware of your PC, to my knowledge you can't use that key on another machine.

Then again I haven't tried to install it on a new machine, I don't know how lax Microsoft would be in doing this.
Though if you explain the motherboard died and you are just using it on one machine they may allow you to activate on the new hardware.
Then the old Rig will no longer be activated.

MustacheBerry

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

Thanks. so the Windows 10 is them bound to the Mobo only? What about if someone wants to buy a new one, they have to go trought this whole process?

Here's the User EULA

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

4. Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software as a consumer in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.

a. Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

Solution