Windows 7 Vulnerable to Memory Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
If someone has physical access to your computer, they can get into it. Don't see how this would be any easier then throwing the hard drive in a secondary machine and running a password cracker on it.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Breakings news! a hacker has hacked a computer by copying files to a thumb drive as the owner of the computer was in the restroom. More breaking news at eleven.

G

[citation][nom]proxy711[/nom]Breakings news! a hacker has hacked a computer by copying files to a thumb drive as the owner of the computer was in the restroom. More breaking news at eleven.[/citation]

Hahahaha, thats exactly what came to my mind.

Devine and Aumaitre said that the hack can be prevented by deactivating the PCMCIA driver.

Or it can be prevented by not allowing people near your computer...

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Duh, of course the CPU was bypassed by DMA, that's the whole point of it! Direct Memory Access was developed by DEC as a much cheaper replacement to channels, both of which offload work that would otherwise be required by the CPU. I'm kind of surprised this is only a problem on Windows 7.

But, really, it's not an effective virus if you have to break into someone's house to spread it.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
You noticed it said older versions of OS X. I thought random memory addressing was all that and that MS was billions of light years ahead of OS X for security. Guess I was wrong as I sit outside having a cold Bud typing this on my Macbook Pro, keyboard illuminated because it is getting dark.

G

Ha, my new AMD 1055T has IOMMU. And here I though it was just virtual OS running that benefited from IOMMU!

megahustler

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
This just in: computers vulnerable to memory attack by physically interfacing to the computer.

This also just in: computers vulnerable to someone stealing the computer because they're standing right next to it!

Scientists investigating possible power-cord vulnerability are currently recruiting several toddlers as test staff.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]You noticed it said older versions of OS X. I thought random memory addressing was all that and that MS was billions of light years ahead of OS X for security. Guess I was wrong as I sit outside having a cold Bud typing this on my Macbook Pro, keyboard illuminated because it is getting dark.[/citation]

Microsoft is light years ahead. The only reason windows gets more of these hacks and viruses is because apple can only convince so many idiots that paying double for something that does the same thing as a windows machine is a good thing.

You'll see, once Steve jobs can make people stop thinking logically about their purchases and buy macs you'll be watching your bank accounts drain, and you SSN will be used in three different states... at the same time.

thisismyname

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this require physical access?

I can think of a TON of ways to own any computer regardless of OS through physical access. No offense, but I believe this article is a little sensationalist by not mentioning that key fact. I mean, this is definitely newsworthy as far as the technical feat goes, but at the same time it's not the end of the world for Windows 7 users.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
If someone is going to go to all the trouble of gaining direct, physical access to my computer, why the hell would they go for this type of attack? Seems like someone taking a plane to go to the grocery store.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Stryter[/nom]If someone is going to go to all the trouble of gaining direct, physical access to my computer, why the hell would they go for this type of attack? Seems like someone taking a plane to go to the grocery store.[/citation]

ROFL, and who the hell has a working PCMCIA device anymore? I think I had one somewhere in a box full of crap like 10 years ago.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]If someone has physical access to your computer, they can get into it. Don't see how this would be any easier then throwing the hard drive in a secondary machine and running a password cracker on it.[/citation]

For example, using PGP Desktop, full drive encryption. Tethering the SAM database of cached credentials to the boot sector as a key to allow the system to boot.

If you have physical access to the hardware, are forced to restart, and the hard drive is encrypted, then you will not get your information.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]thisismyname[/nom]Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this require physical access?I can think of a TON of ways to own any computer regardless of OS through physical access. [/citation]

Yep. I know many ways to get physical access to a PCMCIA/Express Card without being there....

nahh...just kidding I'm just overhyping my statement..just as the article's title. :)

G

hmmm.. the hacker would build a mini-pcmcia card without the casing so he will sceretly install it in the victim's laptop. without the casing it wont protrude, or be visible as its covered by a dust flap.
then waiting for the victim to come back and enter passwords/retina scans/thumbprints wolla!

suitable for computer repair shops/crocked IT dept. Do check ur pcmcia slot after sending for repairs.

vigilantzhu

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
In the news, another new hacking method that is totally new, hackers can now run video games on your Windows 7 PC believe it or not, the attack is made possible when the hackers broke into your house and stole your password unprotected Win 7 PC. This is a revolutionary kind of attack that will put you and your family in danger just because you have Windows 7, this news has been brought to you by Apple.
/sarcasm

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
So if you can plug a DMA device (Direct Memory Access) to the PC you can hack it? That's interesting, its more of a hardware issue for allowing DMA devices access to kernel memory and not and OS problem

randomizer

Champion
"Devine and Aumaitre said that the hack can be prevented by deactivating the PCMCIA driver. "

If you have physical access to the computer, wouldn't your first task be to activate the driver? Then again, if you can do that, you probably don't need to hack anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS