Windows 7 will not fully shut down my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tank_47

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
This is driving me nuts, every now and then when I shut down my pc it won't fully shut off, the fans and power lights and the front panel all stay on. Windows has clearly shut down with the hard disks making there usual parking noise and the monitor and mouse/keyboard are off. The only way I can fully shut down is holding the power button for 4 seconds. When I restart the pc, everything is fine with normal boot ups and no indication of a system crash. I know this is a windows 7 fault and not a hardware fault as if I change only the hard disk to another with windows xp installed then every thing is as it should be with no problems shutting off. This started happening over the past few weeks and could have been caused by some automatic updates. My pc is only been built a month with all new components, I've been unable to resolve the problem as of yet, any help appreciated

System:
Windows 7 home premium
Core I7 920, nero cooler
Foxconn Bloodrage GTI motherboard
6 gig Crucial Balistik DDR3
ATI 5870
Two Hitachi HDs, 1 terra and 1 500 gig
Xsilence 1000 watt modular power supply

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
A similar thing happened to me with an ECS motherboard and an AMD/ATI system. Turns out that Win7 would shutdown ok, but would not restart properly (exhibiting the same symptoms), after the PC had been in S3 Sleep. Setting my BIOS to use S1 Sleep mode instead solved the issue. Just a thought...

chris_64

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
ive had same problem only had pc 5 weeks, am trying to get it replaced but if you say this is a window 7 problem does this mean it will happen with a replacement ??? sorry no nothing about pcs

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

If it's a hardware problem, then a replacement will almost certainly fix it. But if it is a bug with Windows 7, then a replacement will not fix it. Like I said, with me it was a motherboard (hardware) problem, and not Windows 7's fault.

Tank_47

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
well I've tried a windows 7 re-install and the exact same thing is happening, I've stripped the pc bare, no usb devices apart from mouse and keyboard, disconnected router before shutdown and even swapped the graphics cards and it is still the same. What makes this harder to diagnose is the fact that it will only happen randomly say two out of three shutdowns, I have installed another hard disk, this time with Vista installed and this works perfect shutting down every time, I'm kinda getting pissed off with this operating system with all the problems on my main pc and laptop.....bsod..disappearing icons...etc etc.....tempted to go back to good old XP :)

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Wow... And Win7 has worked perfectly on both my desktop and laptop! Do you have all drivers installed FROM THE MANUFACTURER? That might help. It could also be a hardware problem to which Win7 is more sensitive than Vista (e.g., supports a more advanced feature that isn't working properly). I would try playing with some of the BIOS settings, especially power settings.

Tank_47

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
well I eventually solved the problem by installing the 32 bit version of Windows 7, now everything is working great and power now shuts off completely......pity I'm losing the use of half my memory now tho :-(

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

Rather odd. Since Windows x64 to x86 is pretty much the same code recompiled, my guess is a faulty third-party x64 driver. What a shame!

Tank_47

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
yeah, i have two selectable BIOS chips on my motherboard and i have a different version on each, one is the latest code. I honestly tried everything I could think of but nothing solved the problem. I was even gonna RMA my motherboard but decided to give the 32 bit version a go before I did and that worked. Probably was a 64 bit driver problem on my system as suggested but I've spent too much time trying to get it to run as it should...........maybe give the 64 bit a try again in a few weeks as I'm sticking in another hard drive anyway......was reading that AVG can cause problems with shutting down (just after I installed the 32 bit) so I never installed it..........u never know?

Tank_47

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Just thought I'd update this in case anyone is still having similar problems, I still ended up having the same issues in 32 bit version of windows 7. The solution was to disable the USB Selective Suspend in the power options, problem solved. Was something to do with usb sockets not powering up properly from suspend when a system shutdown was initiated.

Status
Not open for further replies.