Windows 7 won't boot after new motherboard but can get to BIOS?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CallumCJ

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Hi I need some help asap, I just swapped out my old motherboard since it was quite rubbish (really old packard bell m-atx board) for a brand new ASrock P5B-DE motherboard.

However after installing the board and plugging everything back in exactly where it came from on the old board, the PC cant boot into windows 7 64bit. I've tried the repair option and it doesn't work.

I've tried disabling and enabling various options in the BIOS. Also tried removing the memory and only using 1 stick then tried both sticks in different slots and that hasn't changed anything.

I've tried inserting my Win7 CD but it doesn't seem to boot from the DVD drive (will keep trying to see if it can).

System specs are:

Intel core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz (using Freezer Pro7 CPU cooler)
Samsung DDR2 800mhz Ram (2GB x 2)
160GB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD
ATI (XFX) 5830 1GB GPU
Zalman 500W PSU

my next point of call (thanks to some google searching) is to try a lower end GPU as i've still got my Nvidia GTS 250 and doesn't use any external power from the PSU.

Any help would be appreciated as I need the computer up and running ASAP

Cheers

(P.S. I'm not overly bothered about doing a clean install as i recently did one anyway and I haven't had a huge amount of programs installed on the pc since then. But if I can fix this without a clean install that would be preferable)

Adidedic89

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Hello,

I just wanted to post a solution that worked for me as it was really a quick fix. I started doing dism solution from all the threads and then accidentaly red a solution that would save my life. [/b] I just changed BIOS storage settings from AHCI to IDE. [/b]This way i could load up Windows and install my new mobo drivers.

Hope this helps!

f1nt1nt1n

Honorable
May 30, 2012

I just wanted to say thank you changing the drive config worked for me, I was experiencing pretty much the same problem as OP, My old mobo died and i replaced with an upgraded version (Gigabyte -X58A-UD3R to Gigabyte EX58-UD5) I missed the different difaults in the bios and was tearing my hair out for days. I shouldn't have missed that I feel rather stupid, anyway thanks.

TheVulcanJedi

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015

The AHCI/IDE bios change worked for me at the 11th hour just when I was about to reformat my hard drive and lose everything. May you live forever, Dave!

rkoenn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I just changed out a motherboard for a breadboard system on my bench. I've been fighting for 2 hours to get it to boot after a big upgrade. I went from an old dual core Intel CPU and motherboard to a Z99 with I7-5820 CPU. I used the recommendation to change SATA type to IDE rather than AHCI and on the next boot it started Win 7. It then went into a configuration process and I will do a cleanup after it is running. The new parts are actually to replace my personal system's CPU and MB but I wanted to run some tests on this first. Thanks for those suggesting this option. I should have thought of it myself but reading it here kicked my memory.

TRENDING THREADS