Windows 7 wont reinstall to SSD: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk/ Setup unable to create or locate partition"

gabriel.larkins

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
This is driving me crazy. I've had to reinstall Windows in the past and remember having similar problems, but don't remember how I got past them.

So I had to go for a clean reinstall of windows using my Windows 7 installation disk due to wanting to revert back to windows 7 from windows 10, and wanting a fresh start.

I deleted the previous partitions and formatted my SSD through the windows installer, but it won't allow me to continue with the installation.

My SSD is already set to UEFI and not IDE or RAID, so I don't think that would be the issue.

It gives me the errors:
Windows cannot be installed to this disk. (Show Details)
Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

And whenever I try to click New to make a new partition through the "advanced drive options" of the windows installer ,
It turns my unallocated space into partition 1, but still says Windows cannot be installed on disk 0 partition 1 for the same reason.

If I try to click next anyways, it gives me this error message:

"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information."

I have no clue what to do, or why this happens when I try to reinstall .

I tried to do the shift+f10 diskpart.exe method, but I get stuck at 0 percent when trying to do the ntfs quick format part of the process.

PLEASE HELP!! Any and all responses are appreciated :(

Solution
I ended up solving it on my own. I had to change my boot storage device settings to "Both UEFI and legacy, legacy first" and it allowed me to go through with the installation.

gabriel.larkins

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
I ended up solving it on my own. I had to change my boot storage device settings to "Both UEFI and legacy, legacy first" and it allowed me to go through with the installation.

Solution