Windows 7 won't start

ghost_florian

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I just assembled my new system, turned it on, everything is ok, all the parts are recognized, but when I pun in the WIndows 7 dvd to install it, it says "windows is loading files", then shows the "windows loading" screen and then i see the blue page , with the cursor on it, but no buttons. And then it does nothing at all. It doesn't freeze, it just stays there.

The configuration is:

Gigabythe GA-p55a-ud3r
Intel core i5-750
Kingston ddr3 memory HyperX
Hitachi 1tb hdd
XFX Radeon HD 5770
Sony optiarc AD-7240S
OCZ 600W PSu

I loaded all the settings on fail-safe mode, 1st boot device CDROM.

The disk has nothing wrong with it, as I have installed windows 7 from it on other computers as well.

Please help !!!

How long are you waiting for the screen to change? I've seen a lot of people posting this kind of question and they often just aren't waiting long enough. There are periods during the installation where it appears nothing is happening, especially with a 1TB drive since I believe there's a format step during the installation. It doesn't say it's formatting, it just pauses for a while.

I guess another possibility could be RAM issues. Which exact Kingston HyperX RAM kit do you have? Have you tried the installation with a single stick of RAM installed? Have you manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated values in the BIOS?

ghost_florian

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/4G HyperX / 4GB 1600MHz PC3-12800 DDR3 / Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Dual Channel Computer Memory... that's what it's called
I haven't tried with one stick of RAM yet, but now it asked my what language I want to choose, and then setup started, but it does nothing now, just load. Is it because of the HDD ? Because it's taking an awful lot of time.

Sounds like everything's working normally to me. If you don't have the patience to sit and wait for it then just walk away for 10 - 15 minutes.

That's what I was worried about on the RAM. :( The Intel chips only support RAM voltages up to 1.65v. Anything above that can damage the on-board RAM controller on the chip. Your RAM is rated at 1.7v - 1.9v and is not a good choice for an Intel system.

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I would suspect a RAM issue. I had lots of trouble with installing windows 7, eventually I managed to get all the way through the set up and installed it (after increasing the voltage to 1.6). But even after that I had random freezes on the machine. It turns out one of the stickes was faulty (discovered by using only one stick at a time to see which one was a problem)

I actually run my RAM at 1.7 (had to in order to get my RAM stable at 7-7-7-22 despite it claiming 1.6 was all it needed), and my P55 mobo considers that fine - it is at 1.8 where the mobo flags it up as 'not recommended'

shithead

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Well, the only complain I have on Giagbyte's board... THE FLOPPPY DRIVE IS ENABLED ALTHOUGH no floppy disk drive is connected.... is annoying really. I have the GA-P55-US3L and a friend's GA-P55-UD3L did the same thing... just the nice blue background..... if we waited more than 5 mins then the setup will start... actually 7 Setup is searching for the floppy disk drive although none is physically connected during the 'blue background' :(
well its also well-known online: http://blog.intodevelopment.nl/knowledge-base/windows-7-installation-suddenly-slow/

WORKAROUND: WAIT or Disable Floppy Disk Drive manually in the BIOS.
Go to BIOS -> Standard CMOS -> Drive A -> Select 'NONE'.
Try installing 7, should load instantly :)

PS: If you are ever going to install vista for anyone's OEM computer, it has the same bug and same work-around for this issue.

ghost_florian

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Windows works now, I got everything done. The PC seems ok, but the memory runs at 1333mhz and 1.5 V , when it was supposed to run at 1600mhz. Another thing is that the CPU won't pass 2000mhz. I ran prime95 stress test with large FTT's , but it still didn't pass 2000 mhz. I have a pretty good cooling system( arctic cooler freezer rev2, 1 140mm fan on the top and two 120mm fans, one at the front and one on the back) , but the cpu didn't pass 38 degrees on full load( 23-24 degrees ambient temperature). Is this normal ?
I mean, it works great, it's super fast and runs NFS shift on 1080p high everything with no problem, even with a lot of other cars on the track. I'm just worried I can't get the CPU up to the turbo-boost speed, or at a higher-than-2000mhz frequency at least.

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Regarding the memory...have you adjusted the voltage to 1.6 or 1.65 and run at 1600mhz? I know a number of people have had their RAM not being able to run at 1600mhz at the Bios default of 1.5v. Most DDR3 RAM tends to recommend 1.6 or 1.65v (which is a safe voltage for mobo and intel chip).

I don't know much about increasing the CPU, but I would say that cooling is not the issue.