Windows 7 x64 Multiple BSOD from Multiple Drivers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dog Rescuer

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I would be very grateful for any insights. I've now lost 4 days to this issue. I'm a very unhappy camper. Thanks for taking a look.

4 year old home made Windows 7 Asus Sabertooth x58 Intel Chip started crashing last week.

The BSOD is always an alleged rogue driver but is a different one each time. Drivers are ntkrnl.sys, a few different ASUS drivers, an NVidia driver.

Turning off the antivirus slows down the frequency rate of BSOD.

I've run chkdsk and a RAM test (no errors).

I've removed everything remotely related to the drivers mentioned in the error dumps (where I could).

I found an ASUS driver that had caused issues for others and moved it aside. That didn't help.

I tried to install ASUS Probe (from download) and Windows Utility (from x58 CD) and they both immediately crashed with ASUS driver errors as alleged cause.

I removed Microsoft Essentials and installed AVG. An AVG root kit scan immediately crashed with random drivers as the alleged cause.

The machine has a nice power supply but I can't be positive that's not the problem.

I removed all traces of NVidia; that didn't help, and it made no difference to my ability to see the display.

The pre-boot ASUS utility told me the temperature was around 105 deg F.

If I can figure out exactly which is the right one, I'm thinking of downloading ASUS ROM to a USB. Hopefully I can flash it correctly. I uninstalled some USB devices so who knows. I could burn it to CD if required. I just don't understand the ASUS website enough to trust that I'm getting the right code.

I supposed I could repair off of the original Windows 7 disk to give the hardware some software that was known to work OK at one time.

(System restore had not been working so that's not an option now.)

I have managed to get a complete AVG scan with no malicious files found.

I uninstalled the two most recent Windows Update hot fixes. Nothing.

To me it feels like the ASUS code suddenly being out of date despite no new hardware; a hard drive failure; or a well-hidden virus. I don't know. Any ideas?

NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM points me to a harddrive issue now [??] you should read up on that

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557433(v=vs.85).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854468.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228888

not to discorage you but i have run data lifeguard and things checked out good but a few months later it did come up having bad blocks in the drive and then started to fail lifeguard tests. so it may be just bad to were it not being seen by lifeguard yet, but will slowely progress as with mine . does it show any disk errors in the event viewer?

Dog Rescuer

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
That's not discouraging, it's helpful to have some skepticism about the tools.

>chkdsk d: /F /R /X /B

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is WD Caviar Black.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
2202112 file records processed.
File verification completed.
1943 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
0 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
3043164 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is scanning unindexed files for reconnect to their original directory.
Recovering orphaned file Chkdsk20120330055727.log (1800374) into directory file 1800373.
Recovering orphaned file Chkdsk20120414194645.log (1800375) into directory file 1800373.
Recovering orphaned file Chkdsk20120510064501.log (1800376) into directory file 1800373.
Recovering orphaned file Chkdsk20120513163134.log (1800377) into directory file 1800373.
5 unindexed files scanned.
Recovering orphaned file Chkdsk20120513180933.log (1800378) into directory file 1800373.
0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
2202112 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
420527 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
35723624 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
18 percent complete. (2164239 of 2202096 files processed)
The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters
detected in file 2164302 of name \htdocs\SCANSM~1\sc\mail\SCANSM~1.COM\PDAKOU~1\cur\122521~2
.COM.
2202096 files processed.
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
135868107 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

976759807 KB total disk space.
430175688 KB in 1610373 files.
777392 KB in 420528 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
2334299 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
543472428 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
244189951 total allocation units on disk.
135868107 allocation units available on disk.

Dog Rescuer

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
That's a downloaded mail file from a cpanel account. It's actually just a text file. I did a backup of a client's entire cpanel account so the mail folder was included.

I do have SSD and that's a good question about the firmware. I will check.

well i googled around some things from your chkdsk reports like 0x0000000000018000 and it looked like a hd issue [??] what funny is that i also am useing a WD black drive thats around 4 years old and i went through kinda the same thing as you but now its showing bad block event id 7 in the event viewre every now and again. but now i i can run all day with out any bsod or hangs when before it was near all the time do to somthing and now thats gone.

heres somthing else i seem.. when i loades windows and started tgetting updates i noticed that they were not comming in any kind of order. so i was getting updates to things that supported updates that i have not got yet like .net3 would come first and like a month later i would get .net1 witch i rember right that ,net had to be installed in order and there were outher updates that came like that so now that i am up to the date seems that all my issues went away no more bsods no more hang ups so i get to wondering if some of this is on microsoft. about 2 months ago i got one thatg was dated from 2009 and just now getting it. i fought this build for a few months seemed like a year but all seems good now. 2 outher things that i removed were the asus suite and the asmeida stuff that did help alot. but the more i look back at things i look at how the os updates did not come in there proper order.

Dog Rescuer

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
We removed both the SSD and the WD hard drives. Added in a new Seagate Hybrid SSD as the only drive. Installed a new Windows 7 OS version. Still crashing.

Things rolled along quietly -- the browser kept crashing but the blue screens seemed to stop.

We added back in the WD drive as data only. I started to copy the contents to the new C: drive.

Both during the copy and the when there was no copying going on, I got blue screens.

I've also been switching around antiviruses -- avast, avg, Microsoft Essentials. It crashes when any of them scan.

Do these tell you anything?

On Mon 12/30/2013 8:27:34 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\123013-17456-01.dmp
uptime: 05:05:49
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k!NtGdiCloseProcess+0x2AB)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF9600015F6CF, 0x0, 0x70)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 12/30/2013 8:27:34 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
uptime: 05:05:49
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k!NtGdiCloseProcess+0x2AB)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF9600015F6CF, 0x0, 0x70)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 12/29/2013 11:12:31 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122913-31278-01.dmp
uptime: 00:28:04
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x34 (0x50853, 0xFFFFF8800A9E9658, 0xFFFFF8800A9E8EB0, 0xFFFFF80002E5D4A3)
Error: CACHE_MANAGER
Bug check description: This indicates that a problem occurred in the file system's cache manager.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 12/28/2013 1:55:33 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122813-20124-01.dmp
uptime: 02:27:13
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x20 (0x0, 0xFFFF, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_APC_PENDING_DURING_EXIT
Bug check description: This indicates that an asynchronous procedure call (APC) was still pending when a thread exited.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

ya i'll go for that.... this is why when now i install windows i install it raw with out addind any drivers like from the driverdisk and just see if it will go to desktop on that that way i know i'm good on just windows then i add what drivers it needs one at a time and fun it awile to see if sonthing accures if not move to the next driver ect... so i can keep better track of what last driver installed may have caused the issue... and the added non hardware drivers like asus suite and asmidia stuff are the last or never to get installed.... aand dont let windows update nothing with out you looking them over and checking just the ones you want or need... and as i said before they may not come in the right order as they need to be like getting .net3&4 stuff ahead of the .net 1&2 stuff as this update issue is what i now feel was the thing that caused me all my issues [??] it was like putting the cart before the horse on that...